VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Roaring Rapids

29yrswithaGApass

They should change it back unless they get some jungle theming going, which is obviously unlikely. Of course that would mean paying for a new sign, so it probably isn't too likely either.

I still think that a makeover with some kind of characters would be fun. Maybe you're going on a rafting adventure with Bugs looking for some lost treasure in the Congo or something. At least that would be an excuse to add some fun water effects.

A bugs bunny theme on the congo i ok but just bringing back the falls and rapids with some landscaping would make it a great adventure down roring rapids again. I get it that the ride is old and dont want to see another classic removed, but some paint and trees goes along way in my book

I would love to see a general improvement of the area back there, with a new path running from Movietown next to the Stunt Arena connecting to the Rapids path, with a new flat ride or two along that path and a retheme of both Rapids and Nitro to incorporate them into Movietown as a DC Superhero themed area. As part of that retheme, I would love to see a water play area built on the rapids "island" with, water cannons that could spray the passing boats as well as some other ways to get wet as well as new waterfalls on the inside and some geysers. That area on the island could then easily be reused for a Fright Fest attraction in the fall.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congo Rapids is a boreing ride. There are no waterfalls, geysers, wave machines, mist, tunnels or theming, plus the rafts always follow the exact same path because of those awful wooden walls. I'm sure the ride was much better when it opened, but now they need to give it a huge redo, or remove it. Blizzard River at Six Flags New England is a much better ride. There are two tunnels, the themeing is great, and there are countless waterfalls. Unlike Congo Rapids the ride is more wild, plus there is MIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Congo Rapids is a boreing ride. There are no waterfalls, geysers, wave machines, mist, tunnels or theming, plus the rafts always follow the exact same path because of those awful wooden walls. I'm sure the ride was much better when it opened, but now they need to give it a huge redo, or remove it. Blizzard River at Six Flags New England is a much better ride. There are two tunnels, the themeing is great, and there are countless waterfalls. Unlike Congo Rapids the ride is more wild, plus there is MIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! IMO Blizzard River at SFNE was Bad. Roaring Rapids at SFGAm is Pretty Good IMO. Top 3

1- Roaring Rapids @ SFGAm

2- Penguins Blizzard River @ SFKK

3- Canyon River Rapids @ Hersheypark

I like Roaring Rapids and it is good that it doesn't have any stupid overhead waterfalls dumping water on you. Still it needs fixing up such as fixing the decorative waterfall that is behind the guide rail.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How about add a story line to Congo Rapids? Going back to the "themed" type of rides? It will def. revamp the ride and bring in more customers. Having Congo Rapids do a "Jaws-like attraction" would be exciting don' you think?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

As only the second rapids ride in the world, Great Adventure made use of photographs taken of AstroWorld's "Thunder River" in Houston, Texas to promote this new style of ride in its 1981 pamphlet. Click below to check out the Roaring Rapids segment of the pamphlet and a series of photos taken at AstroWorld and used by Great Adventure in its promotions.

RRapidsPamphletShootTitle.png

• 6 months later...

I'm not familiar with other first generation (12-passenger rafts) Intamim Rapids Rides other than Great Adventure's and Magic Mountain's. Are there other dual loading/unloading rides (like GA's station)? Both the GA and MM Rapids rides were designed with the dual stations. Only Great Adventure's station, however, was completed with dual loading/unloading. Magic Mountain's was started as a dual station, but they ultimately completed it with a single platform. If you've ever seen the MM station, it is quite obvious that it was intended to be dual, but was finished with a single platform.