VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Retro Trip Report: July 1976 - Paul Anka & Family

I was surprised to see they allowed 7 people in 1 log. The pictures of the line make it look like it was an uncomfortable wait standing in an uncovered queue for that much time.

We were allowed to have up to seven guests in each log. Every log had the weight capcity of 900lbs. Very often we'd put three adults in the front two in the back or two adults and a small child or four children in the front adults in the rear. But back in the day 74 to 76 there was more water in the flume and the boats didnt scrape bottom like they do today. They floated thru the ride. Also the pumps were a lot faster back then and in the resavoir the water level was to the top of the rocks. You could not see the bottom of it. Gave it more of a lake look or pound. And we had a lot more logs on line. There would be a turntable full all the way around, three on each lift hill one bottom middle and top. As one pulled out the top went over and into the flume. I believe the spacing was about 25 feet between each. You had to be on your toes that's for sure. Back in the day all rides ran at full capcity all the time from 10am to 10pm. Just take a look at the spotlight and you can make out how many logs were on the system.

You're correct . We used to have a lot of splash overs around the bends back then. ANd we didnt have the build ups on the cuves either. And spill way the area with the dip in the back was a fun spot to work you had to make sure ever log cleared if it didnt you hit the e stop for it and released each one till the system run correctly. More the a back up of 3 logs and you had to evac the ride. ANd restart it. Fun Times!

I went to Great Adventure either the day before or after Paul Anka performed. Can't quite recall. A family friend of ours who worked in the PR department at GA told us the park would be crowded the day Anka performed, so we opted to go another day.

Looks like Anka and his family had a great time during a fantastic season in GA history.

By the way, I found this video of Great Adventure from 1978. Enjoy.

• 5 years later...