VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Construction Spotlight: Roaring Rapids

I love the model of Roaring Rapids that they developed for the ride's construction. Just noticed that the funnel cake/retail building was built along the banks of the Hydro Flume rather than in the location where it is shown in the model (near Roaring Rapids exit). And, traffic flow in the area would have been greatly improved had the circular flow afforded by the path around/under Lightnin' Loops been built. I wonder why they decided to deviate from the plans.

Also, I remember the model being on display at Monmouth Mall in December of 1980 in a kiosk they had for 1981 season pass sales. At the time, the ride was labeled as Lost River Rapids. I remember writing to GSC/Six Flags corporate in LA after seeing the kiosk at the mall and received a return letter in which they mentioned that the actual name of the ride would be Roaring Rapids.

Edited by Daved Thomson

What is GSC?

The actual name of the company when it was owned by Penn Central Corporation. GSC are the initials for Great Southwest Corporation which was the industrial park in Arlington, TX that Angus Wynn developed across from SFOT. Similar to GA initially being a wholly owned subsidiary of Hardwick Companies, Six Flags was actually a wholly owned subsidiary of Great Southwest. Penn Central owned more than 94% of GSC/Six Flags' voting stock. It was Pennco (The Pennsylvania Company , commonly referred to as Penn Central) that actually owned the real estate for all of the parks (except SFOT/SFOG) and GSC/Six Flags managed the parks. Much like Pennco actually owned the land under the tracks that Penn Central operated/ran its trains on. Edited by Daved Thomson

• 1 month later...

Also, I remember the model being on display at Monmouth Mall in December of 1980 in a kiosk they had for 1981 season pass sales. At the time, the ride was labeled as Lost River Rapids. I remember writing to GSC/Six Flags corporate in LA after seeing the kiosk at the mall and received a return letter in which they mentioned that the actual name of the ride would be Roaring Rapids.

I had the opportunity to meet the graphics designer of the original 1977 rainbow, the one that was the basis for the Six Flags Great Adventure rainbow logo. I was able to obtain several pieces of original artwork from him includng the Roaring Rapids logo and a similar variation that pre-dated it. The name used on the only earlier one was White Water River. Is it possible that was the name used on the model?

That could very well be it. Even when I wrote to Six Flags corporate, I did so after having seen the Monmouth Mall display only once, so certainly my memory could have been off. White Water River could easily have been the name on the display. Either way, the letter I received corrected it to the actual Roaring Rapids.

• 1 month later...