VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #33: Over and under rated GA rides

I think Ka is over rated, its 10 years old and not aging as well as TTD (never ridden either ride)

I think Joker will not get the Justice it deserves being a complete clone [see Justice; Justice League]

I've only really been around for the current rides in the park but out of those I think the most overrated is Superman. It's a pretty short ride that doesn't do much after the pretzel loop, it's just popular for the flying gimmick.

For me the most underrated would be Skyscreamer. I always have a lot of fun on it and try to ride it most of my visits to the park but I rarely hear about it anywhere.

Superman is definitely overrated. I'd say Skull Mountain is very underrated because while it is short, it has an ejector air time moment on the drop in the back row. Very few people know about it.

Superman is definitely overrated. I'd say Skull Mountain is very underrated because while it is short, it has an ejector air time moment on the drop in the back row. Very few people know about it.

I agree. That first drop on skull mountain in the back is actually pretty intense.

For overrated, Kingda Ka, I like the ride but it's not close to being one of my favorite rides in the park. It's a short ride and has gotten very rough and not worth the line it usually has and still has reliability issues.

Underrated, I am going to say Scream Machine. In the later years of the ride it had a reputation of being painful and wasn't very popular. I never found the coaster that rough, especially if you avoided the last few rows. It was running really well in 2010 before it closed and I liked the layout with the 3 vertical loops and somewhat rare batwing.

Scream Machine was underrated as Yoshi said. The last year it was open it was a lot smoother than years past. All it needed was some TLC.

Kingda Ka seems overrated to me. I would never wait 45 minutes to ride it. If it is a walk on or a small wait, I will go on. However, I will wait 45 minutes for Top Thrill Dragster. Only having a lap bar and no OTSR makes the ride more thrilling (and it seems a lot smoother).

Yeah I agree with all of these. Ka seems pretty overrated. I get the hype if its someone's first time and its definitely a great coaster but I don't think its aged well.

Skull Mountain is underrated, it actually ranks very high in my favorites at the park.

I am going to go old school -

Most Over-rated: Splash Water Falls. Could a ride get any more simple than you go up and you come down... once.

Most Under-rated: Log Flume. It is one of THE BEST classic flume rides left standing and a major water ride even by today's standards some 40+ years later.

• Like 1

On the old school theme id go with ultra twister being overated. Never liked it from day one. Then enterprise for underrated. Still one of my favorite all time. For present day can I sneak the tango in as an underrated hidden pleasure?

The most overrated ride in the park is probably Congo Rapids, the darn thing doesn't get you wet at all until right at the end! If we're talking about dry rides, Superman takes the cake. As for underrated, I'd agree with the Skull Mountain comment. It's such a short, small ride that is still a ton of fun. I feel Bizzaro doesn't get the recognition it deserves also

Most Over-rated: Splash Water Falls. Could a ride get any more simple than you go up and you come down... once.

LOL sounds like Ka except that one goes up really high and comes down and the other goes up then makes a big splash.

I think I will go with Lightning Loops as the over rated. At the time Lightning Loops was the big exciting coaster at Great adventure there were coasters that had more than a loop. The momentum that sent he train through the loop was not from a launch.

Under raided I think I will go with Enterprise. It was a carnival ride but it was so much fun. I cant think of a time I went to the park and didn't go on at least one time.

• 9 months later...

I think Ka is over rated, its 10 years old and not aging as well as TTD (never ridden either ride)

agreed, KK really needs some TLC. CP just painted TTD and considering Nitro hasn't received fresh paint in almost 20 years, fresh paint on KK isn't looking to promising either. The track on KK camel hump is extremely rusty. Not sure if anyone looked at KK in detail like I have, but the areas where they attached all of the DOD parts looks pathetic. I am surprised the ride pasted inspection with the way it looks. Its like patch jobs.

Unless they do some package deal where they paint a bunch of coaster at the same time, I don't know. All I know is, painting KK and Nitro will be no small job. The current paint situation on the coasters makes the park look ver run down, but that's a topic all in itself

• 3 weeks later...

The Sky Ride is boring as can be, except if you want to get an overall perspective or try and see how long some ride lines are.... ;)

The Sky Ride also has a full queue most of the time. If you want to get to more rides faster, you're better off walking across the park instead of waiting 15-20 minutes to get across.

The Sky Ride also has a full queue most of the time. If you want to get to more rides faster, you're better off walking across the park instead of waiting 15-20 minutes to get across.

To add onto that it's cool to see the park from above!

agreed, KK really needs some TLC. CP just painted TTD and considering Nitro hasn't received fresh paint in almost 20 years, fresh paint on KK isn't looking to promising either. The track on KK camel hump is extremely rusty. Not sure if anyone looked at KK in detail like I have, but the areas where they attached all of the DOD parts looks pathetic. I am surprised the ride pasted inspection with the way it looks. Its like patch jobs.

Unless they do some package deal where they paint a bunch of coaster at the same time, I don't know. All I know is, painting KK and Nitro will be no small job. The current paint situation on the coasters makes the park look ver run down, but that's a topic all in itself

the rides arent going to run any better with new paint. why should sfgadv spend the $$$$$. Its not a wise business move. SP are $63. what do you expect you get what you pay for.

the rides arent going to run any better with new paint. why should sfgadv spend the $$$$$. Its not a wise business move. SP are $63. what do you expect you get what you pay for.

Agreed they wont run any different, but why would you want to let it rust away? I don't think that's a wise business move either.

things need to be up kept.

I rather travel 3 hours to go to Hershey and be surround by a nicely kept park than travel and hour and half to visit GA that and be surrounded by things that are two paint flakes away from being run down.

I don't know about you but I find a rusty chalky paint looking ride very un appealing

Agreed they wont run any different, but why would you want to let it rust away? I don't think that's a wise business move either.

I rather travel 3 hours to go to Hershey and be surround by a nicely kept park than travel and hour and half to visit GA that and be surrounded by things that are two paint flakes away from being run down.

I don't know about you but I find a rusty chalky paint looking ride very un appealing

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence in ride safety either. Many bridges like on the NJ Turnpike are designed to rust on the outer layer. I don't think amusement rides fall into that category..... :Spindevil:

Edited by dougdrummer

I could care less what the ride looks like, and even if they painted the rides, they arent going to run any better. just compare rides at sfgadv to other parks. they are horrible. nitro runs like crap compared to apollos chariot. Ka runs like garbage compared to TTD. Toro is starting to get rough and shaky. The parks spends zero $$$ on maintenance compared to other parks. Superman is disgusting looking, and the que is a disgrace. and i can go on and on. you get what you pay for at $63 for a pass, you aint getting painted and maintained rides like other parks.

even if the park was tip top shape a season pass should be any more than $70. The park itself doesn't justify it.

The you get what you pay for argument I will use with to associate other things, but its not an excuse for things to slip into disrepair (as I mentioned in the other thread)

Maybe besides adding new rides they need to spend money on making what they have better