VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #33: Over and under rated GA rides

Overrated- Superman. Very fun ride but it does not warrant the attention it receives. I do believe its popularity mostly has to do with location; most visible ride before entering the park and it is at the dead end of a popular midway.

Underrated- The Chiller. These were two awesome coasters that provided a very unique experience and intensity to the park. Back in 06/07 there were days where I'd look forward to riding it more than any coaster in the parks besides Toro. I also miss its presence in the skyline and midway.

Overrated- Superman. Very fun ride but it does not warrant the attention it receives. I do believe its popularity mostly has to do with location; most visible ride before entering the park and it is at the dead end of a popular midway.

Underrated- The Chiller. These were two awesome coasters that provided a very unique experience and intensity to the park. Back in 06/07 there were days where I'd look forward to riding it more than any coaster in the parks besides Toro. I also miss its presence in the skyline and midway.

How does El Toro compare to the coaster it replaced?

I wonder if the park ever got their bang for the buck with The Chiller? As unique and as much of a draw as it was, it was also a publicity black eye for a good portion of its existence. I can't even imagine how many millions of dollars they had to pour into that ride over ten years, trying to get it up and running, with all the problems with valleying, LIMs and having to replace portions of the track. I would think except for the hardcore roller coaster enthusiast, most patrons avoided it due to the harshness of the ride. Certainly your average person didn't try to repeat ride it.

I wonder if the park ever got their bang for the buck with The Chiller? As unique and as much of a draw as it was, it was also a publicity black eye for a good portion of its existence. I can't even imagine how many millions of dollars they had to pour into that ride over ten years, trying to get it up and running, with all the problems with valleying, LIMs and having to replace portions of the track. I would think except for the hardcore roller coaster enthusiast, most patrons avoided it due to the harshness of the ride. Certainly your average person didn't try to repeat ride it.

It was a very popular ride when it was actually open. People used to run to it first thing before Nitro opened and it routinely had some of the longest lines in the park until its last year or two. After they got rid of the OTSR's I never heard anyone complaining about the ride at all.

It was a great right once they switched to lap bars. Its almost as if the Chiller was a head of its time. Look at the LMS coaster that are running now, none with as many issues as Chiller had. I think if we got that ride even 5 years after we originally got it, it would be one of the parks top coaster still running

It was a great right once they switched to lap bars. Its almost as if the Chiller was a head of its time. Look at the LMS coaster that are running now, none with as many issues as Chiller had. I think if we got that ride even 5 years after we originally got it, it would be one of the parks top coaster still running

pretty amazing for an out and back coaster

Edited by dougdrummer

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Overrated: Kingda Ka. I still absolutely love it, but I always say that while it’s the ride that brings people to the park, it’s rides like Nitro, Bizarro, and El Toro especially that bring them back.

Underrated: Great American Scream Machine. The first roller coaster I rode in the park. I loved this ride with all of my heart. The fact that I never got my final ride on it in 2010 is my single biggest regret in life. I have such a soft spot for Arrow coasters, especially their bigger rides, and GASM was my absolute favorite of the bunch. She had so much charm and grace, truly a special ride, and I miss her dearly.

I am going to go old school as well.  The rapids ride was very over rated at the time.  It obviously made such a poor impression on me I do not even remember its given name.  The commercials made it look a lot better than it was.  People were better off riding the log flume twice.  (and I will not call it the saw mill)

Underrated back then was the Rotor.  no one knew about it and, if you were lucky enough to go on it and not know the floor was going to drop out, you had an extra special thrill.  The only ride I never dared to do with a full stomach.  

I would like to argue an above point that suggests lightning loops was over rated.  At the time, that was a pretty unique experience to go upside down and then do it again backwards.  I agree that coasters have come a long way since then.  It almost makes me afraid of what we will be riding 40 years from now.  But, to kids back then, of whom I am one, it was amazing, worthy of the hype.  

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/4/2016 at 2:53 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

In your opinion:

(1) What is/was Great Adventure's most over-rated ride ever?

(2) What is/was Great Adventure's most under-rated ride ever?

I'll do one for rides and coasters, i'll do coasters first

For Over-Rated coaster, i'm going to say Kingda Ka, it didn't age as well as TTD (RIP) and has gotten fairly rough on my past rides. I don't think it's a bad ride, but I think it is highly overrated.
For Under-Rated coaster, this one is a hard one, but I might have to go with Medusa. I don't see a lot of enthusiasts giving it lots of attention and it mostly seems like the only time it's brought up is literally just to mention that it was the first floorless coaster.

For Over-Rated ride, I'm gonna go more recent and say Justice League. I like the shooter game, but the line always seems too long for what isn't worth the wait. Also, for every time i've ridden it, there is almost a 50% chance the ride breaks down and closes before I even get on.

For Under-Rated ride, this one is obvious for me, I have had more fun on Deja Vu that I probably should have. Something about it really screams "charming fair ride" and I really enjoy that.