VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine

29yrswithaGApass

I don't know about it only having 3-5 years left, does not sound like it is correct. But it doesn't take much for GAdv to rip out a ride these days. If they ever do remove it in a couple of years, SF won't have the money to replace GASM with another big coaster anytime soon.

I'm not sure if it would fit, but I could see Chang taking it's spot (yes I know the park said we are not getting it but I still think it is possible). If not, I don't see the ride leaving anytime soon. I know it has a bad reputation but really isn't that rough at all if you avoid the back seat and brace yourself for the transitions. I try to ride it at least once a trip if the line is short.

Edited by Yoshi

• 1 month later...

If you look at the track support in the center of the pic on the bottom of the corkscrew, i always wondered if that was a misplaced support coloum and they had to weld the track support to a plate off set or if it was supposed to be like that for a reason?

gallery_154_472_113721.jpg

Edited by gafreak

• 1 month later...

Well i rode this past weekend and theres a major diffrence between the Axe train and the red train, the Axe train AkA the white train was very smooth, the red train gave me a pounding, im not sure that the blue train even exists anymore either, i have a bad feeling that GASM is gone very soon. I was able to walk on when all other rides had 30-45 min wait times.

• 1 month later...

The "rumor" is that we will lose our Scream Machine as of July 1st. They are saying that it will close on that date, and start to be dismantled to make room for Chang. Get out there and ride it this week if you can, just in case. I am.

I'll be making a memorial video as well. It's true, if it weren't for GASM, our park might not exsist today. The park's attendance levels were lower than ever after the Haunted Castle and Lightnin' Loops accidents, and GASM brought back the crowds.

We owe it something.... a memorial video, or at least a good ride to replace it.

Here's what I was thinking: What if they turned the Xploratorium into a GADV History Museum? It would be small, obviously, but they could have a piece of GASM track and a car from the coaster, and a nice plaque. They could move some of the carts from the junkyard over there.

im hittin the park wed night to get my final rides in on gasm, im glad i got to work it last season, wow boardwalk will never be the same without gasm, i wish they would consider putting chang over by congo like the did at first< we should start a petition to keep GASM alive!

From Screamscape:

Park News - (6/21/10)

A new rumor has come up over the weekend that may anger more than a few fans of Six Flags Great Adventure. If there is any truth to it, the new management calling the shots may be considering removing the park's infamous Great American Scream Machine coaster. While at first the move seems shocking… keep in mind that GASM's sister ride, Shockwave at the Chicago park, also met with a similar fate a few years ago. Of course it's also well know that Shockwave, the first of the three Arrow made Six Flags Megaloopers (Viper at SF Magic Mountain was the final one) did suffer from a fair share of problems that the other two did not.

So the next question would obviously be to ask what reason there would be to remove such an iconic ride? According to the discussion going on at CoasterFusion, plans have been spotted at the park that now place CHANG… the B&M Stand-Up Coaster from Kentucky Kingdom, as possibly going into GASM's spot. Up until now Chang has been all but confirmed for Six Flags Great America near Chicago… with a few pieces and the trains already spotted on site. Meetings have been taking place with the local government as well to get a height variance permit to build the ride there as well, with the final approval meeting expected to take place on Monday, June 21st.

While I haven't seen it myself, I've heard a rumor that the Six Flags issue may have been unexpectedly removed from the agenda for tonight's meeting, which only adds fuel to the fire that Chang could now be looking for a new home. Of course the online version of the agenda still shows it there, waiting to be finalized tonight. I had been told that as soon as Al Weber took control of Six Flags, he began to made huge and immediate changes to the plans set in place for the 2011 season by Shaprio. I guess we'll know more once the Monday meeting is over if the proposal to add Chang has been dropped or not. Stay tuned!

From NewsPlusNotes:

Monday, June 21, 2010<H3 class="post-title entry-title">Six Flags On The Move. Literally. </H3>First some factual news - Six Flags has announced, err, well filed an 8k with the SEC detailing their plan to formally relocate their headquarters from New York City to Dallas, Texas. The company has long had offices in Dallas, but now that will be the one and only.

They've also cleaned house a bit, naming at least three Vice Presidents that have been let go. Between the reduction in staff and the condensing of the headquarters they will save around $16 million a year.

Now as for the rumor news...

GreatAmericanScreamMachinePostcard.jpgI don't usually post the latest big industry rumors, but this one sounds like it might have some guts. Suddenly the news that Six Flags Great Adventure's Great American Scream Machine is being removed for the ride formerly known as Chang is spreading these interwebs like wildfire.

Why do I think it might be true? Well, for starters most of the Six Flags 50th anniversary projects were Mark Shapiro's decision, and sadly he's gone from the company. New management means new plans. Next, Chang at Six Flags Great America never made a stitch of sense to me. They already have a stand-up coaster! Also, I believe the next round of approvals that Great America had planned for the ride have been suddenly canceled. And as much as Great American Scream Machine is visually impressive and historically significant to the park, well, it hasn't aged gracefully.

The ride is rumored to close on July 1st so I guess if this one holds any water we won't have to wait long to find out.

Al Weber and the current Six Flags Ownership is already proving to be more financially prudent than Red Zone. I never understood why Six Flags needed a New York City Address for its headquarters; and moving to Dallas saves the company the cost of a B&M "Dive Machine" annually.

As for removing "The Great American Scream Machine"? Good riddance! After its (still) awesome first drop, it was nothing but pain. "The Great American Scream Machine" saved Great Adventure from closing. It's a park icon and is visually stunning despite being over a parking lot. I've enjoyed seeing it across the park more-so than ever riding it. Since it brought the park back from the brink, it does deserve a proper send off if going. That being said, it won't be leaving due to maintenance issues as Arrow Dynamics rides are rock solid. They rarely break down and can be ran by as little as 2 employees. Parts for Arrow Coasters are readily available and Great Adventure inherited "Shockwave's" inventory when the Gurnee, Ill attraction closed. Rumors suggest S&S Arrow wants to end parts for older designs, but there's no evidence to support this. Amusement Today would have been all over that if true. Plus, *NOBODY* is ordering 'X' designs from S&S. They're plagued with issues, are expensive, and lack capacity. S&S has nothing left to sell coaster wise, and tossing away a very profitable parts business is plain stupid.

RobertDavid: I'd rather see "Superman" moved to "The Dark Knight"/"Batman & Robin: The Chiller" site over outright removal. It's popular with the GP and I also like it. I, like you hate its lack of theming, and would love to see an effort to remedy this in an immersive way. Great Adventure hardly needs "Chang", but if the rumored 6 "flats" come with it that would be good. I as well as you just wish someone would pay attention to the THEME aspect in THEME parks. We need leadership headhunted from Busch Entertainment Corp. in the worst way.

Scream Machine Should not leave Great Adventure, , put chang in old country and relocate Express and Autobahn

"Chang" in "The Old Country" would be disastrous. You would need to essentially destroy every tree plus the "Garden of Eatin'" to shimmy it there. I would sooner not take "Chang" over destroying the park tree canopy further. "The Dark Knight"/"Batman & Robin: The Chiller" site would be more ideal. Coupled with either "Freefall" and the stunt arena footprint, "Chang" might fit with minimal disruption. We don't need "The Dark Knight" with the adjacent "Skull Mountain", and "Chang" would look better as "The Riddler's Revenge" there.

Six Flags.....you suck...atleast keep the ride open untill after 4th of July weekend, I mean after all, it is called the "GREAT AMERICAN SCREAM MACHINE"

oh and another thing for that new CEO.....we want friggin' flats! I want that 5-d ride! I'd rather you remove Gasm and not replace but keep the 5d ride so we can have another flat, your just reverting back to the old ways o premeier parks that lead to the disasterous downfall and bankruptcy. We were FINALLY starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with Shapiro. If this new CEO RUINS SIX FLAGS! i'm moving to FLorida so I can be around a "good" theme park that's management knows how to run it :mad::mad::nono:

Edited by warnerleroy

It's time has come. Though many people will be sad to see it go and such, it's really showing it's age in comparison to faster, smoother, and all around better rides. It cannibalized parts from Shockwave's trains but even now I'm sure that they've used them up and are now running out of options. If a new attraction such as a large stand up were coming, then they are right to put it in Scream Machine's footprint as it takes up a MASSIVE amount of space right now. There is plenty of breathing room too with the Boardwalk as the lead up to GASM's entrance is pretty much nothing but pavement and a sausage stand with the parachutes on the other side. I think when it's all said and done, it will lead to a nice revitalization of that end of the boardwalk. The only thing that would be left to do would be to tear out the Simulator building and Eruption for some flats.