VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine

29yrswithaGApass

^ Given the ride's advanced age, that is highly unlikely. GASM was designed with the main spine of the ride bolted together instead of welded (see below) so it could rotate, but luckily we never had to give her up.

Calm down everyone, this isn't the ride coming down... it's from 1989 when it was being constructed.gallery_2_43_211342.jpg

I'm going to miss the breakrun sounds. Those were the sounds like got me amp'd to ride when I pulled into the parking lot.

I hate how some people are all sad now that it's going but back a year ago they were complaining about how rough it was. I have always been a Gasm supporter. Check my gallery for proof. There's only a few people that actually supported Gasm like GaFreak and JetsDevs4Lyf. (There's more of you guys on here as well) Gasm def. deserves the respect it doesn't get. It will be missed more than Chiller or Viper.

Last year it was the wolf.I actually thought GASM was pretty safe for awhile espicially with them taking chiller,out with how popular it was and newer than GASM.When they could have possilbly scrapped GASM for money to try to fix Chiller.All the steardy ones seem to stay,runaway train and rolling thunder.It sucks I wont get to ride it before its gone but atleast I rode it 2 years ago.Guesse I'll go visit Nessie next summer if GASM is gone.They should just put Chang somewhere anywhereelse in the park.

I'm going to miss the breakrun sounds. Those were the sounds like got me amp'd to ride when I pulled into the parking lot.

I hate how some people are all sad now that it's going but back a year ago they were complaining about how rough it was. I have always been a Gasm supporter. Check my gallery for proof. There's only a few people that actually supported Gasm like GaFreak and JetsDevs4Lyf. (There's more of you guys on here as well) Gasm def. deserves the respect it doesn't get. It will be missed more than Chiller or Viper.

It's always like that when a coaster leaves, even if the ride was horrible suddenly everyone misses it. I always liked GASM and rode it at least once on almost every trip to the park.

This is my favorite looping coaster in the park, and probably my personal most ridden coaster in the world. This was a major part of my childhood, but as much as I hate to say it, it's time to go. I'm just sad I wont be able to say good bye to it

Well, I hope this replacment coaster is pretty good. I will always remember riding it 3 times in a row with my best friend. We actually would laugh every time we got bumped in the head. We thought it was the funniest thing. So, I salute the Great American Scream Machine for providing us with thrills for 21 years.

Edited by ThemeParkRider

Well, I hope this replacment coaster is pretty good.

Out of all the stand-ups I have ridden (Shockwave, Iron Wolf, Chang, Mantis, Riddler, Georgia Scorcher, Shockwave- KD, King Kobra- KI), in my opinion Chang was the best. It would make a nice addition to our assortment of coasters but I hope our flats aren't lost in the shuffle.

Next year will most likely be what '99 was, a selection of flats added to the park with a major coaster to anchor it. Since the coaster does not need to be purchased and installation costs will be minimal as all of the engineering and marking of the footers can be recycled from Kentucky, there is still a lot left in the budget for some rides to fill in around the empty spaces in the park. There may not be as many as first planned, but it's likely there will still be some coming.

Don't forget that new capital will also be available as the company just got relisted on the NYSE, so even if they aren't coming next year, there will be even more funds available for the 2012 season.

Edited by BuddyChrist

Dude this really,really sucks!GASM isn't even rough compared to some of the other coasters I been on,Drachen Fire,Flight of Fear(with harness),Steel Phantom,Viper.Now thats some serious roughness.I can ride GASM after having 5 back operations with no problem but dont do wooden coasters.Augh, this is so heart breaking.Chang is probly going to beat up on ya to because its simialar to Mantis and I've been on Mantis right after it first opened and it kills your legs.Also been on Shockwave at KD.

Dude this really,really sucks!GASM isn't even rough compared to some of the other coasters I been on,Drachen Fire,Flight of Fear(with harness),Steel Phantom,Viper.Now thats some serious roughness.I can ride GASM after having 5 back operations with no problem but dont do wooden coasters.Augh, this is so heart breaking.Chang is probly going to beat up on ya to because its simialar to Mantis and I've been on Mantis right after it first opened and it kills your legs.Also been on Shockwave at KD.
I doubt the decision has anything to do with the roughness. GASM is now down to two trains; my hunch is that they've cannibalized the third train for parts that are no longer available, and have already run out...

As for your assumption that Chang will "beat up on ya" because of its similarity to Mantis, take it from soneone who's ridden both:

Out of all the stand-ups I have ridden (Shockwave, Iron Wolf, Chang, Mantis, Riddler, Georgia Scorcher, Shockwave- KD, King Kobra- KI), in my opinion Chang was the best. It would make a nice addition to our assortment of coasters but I hope our flats aren't lost in the shuffle.