VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine

29yrswithaGApass

• 2 years later...

I always liked that station music. When I was at the park for my final rides on the coaster, I recorded a little of the station music on my phone so I could remember it. That's good the whole soundtrack is online.

• 1 month later...

How cool is this! On Thursday I had the pleasure of meeting up at the park with someone who generously donated this retro GASM ad from Roy Rogers circa 1989 for my Great Adventure collection and any future museums we may be doing at the park.

I love this ad. It's about six feet tall! The wonderful graphics make me think of what it would be like if the kids from Schoolhouse Rock rode the Scream Machine!

Many thanks Mark!

IMG_5292%20copy.jpg

IMG_5290%20copy.jpg

IMG_5291%20copy.jpg

• 8 months later...

https://youtu.be/D4Inc4YQ6jY

I usually enjoy this channel, but when I saw he ranked GASM as number 1 I kind of felt offended. Was it rough? Yes. But the worst roller coaster experience ever? Eh. In my opinion, no. I enjoyed GASM’s ride. I know he’s entitled to his opinion, but I would take GASM over Green Lantern any day. 

23 hours ago, Andrew M said:

https://youtu.be/D4Inc4YQ6jY

I usually enjoy this channel, but when I saw he ranked GASM as number 1 I kind of felt offended. Was it rough? Yes. But the worst roller coaster experience ever? Eh. In my opinion, no. I enjoyed GASM’s ride. I know he’s entitled to his opinion, but I would take GASM over Green Lantern any day. 

I just "skimmed" thru the video.While the guy IS entitled to his opinion,it sounded like his main problem was that he didn't keep his head back during the ride,which caused the headbanging.And he also disliked RMT also!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Paul Drabek over at Negative-G just posted a trip report from ACE Coaster Con at SFMM. One of his photos is a model of GASM that the park pulled out of storage for the event. His guess is that this model was sent to SFMM in order to promote Viper as they had a similar layout. Harry, are you familiar with the model, and is there any validity to Paul's hunch?

six-flags-magic-mountain-2019-large-46.j

That is pretty accurate.  When we did the Great Adventure History Museum back in 2014 this was one of the items that I had hoped we could use (borrow it back from SFMM) but there wasn't enough time to even attempt its return.

I think this may have actually started out as a model for the first Arrow looper planned for SFGA (the one that went to SFGAm as Shockwave in 1988).  GASM had the the third loop reversed so that the exit from it was on the outer side of the ride leading into the mid-brake run.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 1:02 PM, GAcoaster said:

Once again the stock photo of GASM's loops shows up, today in the local weather forecast talking about the "roller coaster" of temperatures:

It was a pretty looking coaster, shame the ride didn't match its looks. 

• 1 year later...