VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney Parks News

29yrswithaGApass

Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Coming to Disney California Adventure Park Summer 2017

Sat, July 23, 2016 Disney Parks Blog

Today at San Diego Comic-Con, Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios, announced to a packed house of fans that the Guardians of the Galaxy are coming to Disney California Adventure park!

GOTGExt1280.jpg

Beginning in summer 2017, the outrageous and irreverent gang will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! – a comically high-energy, rocking new adventure. Guests will be right in the mix with characters from the blockbuster “Guardians of the Galaxy” films.

Deep inside his fortress-like collection, the mysterious Taneleer Tivan (aka The Collector) is displaying his newest acquisitions, the Guardians of the Galaxy. They are trapped in customized display cases, suspended over a vast abyss. Unbeknownst to their unscrupulous captor, the intrepid Rocket has escaped and is enlisting the Collector’s VIP guests for help. Guests board a gantry lift, which launches them into a chaotic and hilarious adventure as they join Rocket in an attempt to break his fellow Guardians out of captivity.

GOTGInt610.jpg

The new attraction will anchor a broader universe of Super Heroes that will grow over time at Disney California Adventure park. This exciting new presence will transform the structure currently housing The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ (scheduled to close in early 2017) into an epic new adventure, enhancing the breathtaking free fall sensation with all-new visual and audio effects to create a variety of ride experiences. Guests will experience multiple random, unique ride profiles in which the rise and fall of the gantry lift will rock to the beat of music inspired by the film’s popular soundtrack.

GOTGShow610.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! opens summer 2017 at Disney California Adventure park. Stay tuned to theDisney Parks Blog as we’ll bring you more details as the attraction develops as well as opportunities to celebrate The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ before it closes in early 2017.

The Twilight Zone® is a registered trademark of CBS, Inc. and is used with permission pursuant to a license from CBS, Inc.

Ugh! Now Disney is ruining the E-ticket rides. Supposedly the announcement was met with boo's at Comic Con.

I'm glad I got to experience the original version and that Disney can't do this to Disney World's version (I hope they don't re-theme it so something else). I have never seen a full episode of The Twilight Zone and still really liked the theming of the ride and the story of the ride.

I hope they don't touch the WDW one.

I am guessing here, but I don't believe Disney owns the intellectual rights to "The Twilight Zone" series or the name. I believe CBS may still own them and likely had an agreement with Disney allowing them to use it for the attraction for a given period of time. Just an assumption here, but the WDW attraction opened sometime before the Disneyland version and they may have had separate contracts/agreements for each park with the WDW contract being for a longer period of time. Just a guess, but that would make sense given that the Disneyland version opened later and is closing sooner.

^ I believe you are correct.

This seems to be "the new Disney". Trying do do things faster and cheaper as stop gaps between big projects (like Star Wars Land). They've been feeling the heat from Universal's big investments and are starting to lose market share. Every project they do runs over budget and takes longer than expected, and this seems to be their way of countering that.

^ I believe you are correct.

This seems to be "the new Disney". Trying do do things faster and cheaper as stop gaps between big projects (like Star Wars Land). They've been feeling the heat from Universal's big investments and are starting to lose market share. Every project they do runs over budget and takes longer than expected, and this seems to be their way of countering that.

Do you know is Joe Rohde head of Imagineering? If so, how long has he been in that position? Personally, I don't find his creations all that exciting and, for me, his personality is a little too "out there" for how I think of Disney as a brand.

My impression of many of the newer attractions at both Disney properties in the U.S., overall, is that they're just less imaginative and seem to be relying more and more on "off the shelf" systems. But, the net result is a finished product that appears to the guest as being cheapened when compared to prior attractions. The best example of what I am trying to get at here is the initial iteration of the entire California Adventure park. So many of the attractions were nothing more than (not so) cleverly disguised versions of rides found in many other theme parks. As you say, they appear to be trying to do everything cheaper and it shows. In the end, however, they don't save anything when they have to redesign (again, thinking about California Adventure) the entire attraction or park because their initial efforts don't draw profitable attendance figures.

Bob Weis is the head of Disney Imagineering. Joe Rhode is in charge of the Animal Kingdom and the Aulani Resort although he is part of the upper management team.

I think the problem with the lack luster debut of DCA was because management at the time headed by Paul Pressler did the park on the cheap with the majority of funding and focus going towards the shops and restaurants.

By the way, Joe's earring is even scarier in person. He and I were in an an elevator alone at Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge a few years back. I was waiting for his bling to fall to the elevator floor back then!

It looks like his ear could rip at any minute.

A Guardians retheme, really won't fit in that area of the park which is themed to old time 1920s Hollywood, like a mini MGM. To have a sci-fi space attraction in the middle of a 1920s theme is as bad as GADV theming with super heros in the old west.

By the way, Joe's earring is even scarier in person. He and I were in an an elevator alone at Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge a few years back. I was waiting for his bling to fall to the elevator floor back then!

Did Joe say anything? I was distracted by the earing what looks like he did gauging his lobe

• 10 months later...

I don't think Marvel belongs in Future World (or any kind of licensed characters). I would rather see Universe of Energy updated. Keep the dinosaur part and update the film. Last week the cars were maybe 15% full and that was at the same time rides like Journey Into Imagination and Living With The Land were 40 minute waits so the park was somewhat crowded. Or better yet, add a new ride to Future World where Wonders of Life is.

From the retheme at California Adventure, I saw there are more screens added to the ride. I'm getting kind of tired of screens being added to every ride or being the ride in some cases. For simulators and some dark rides it makes sense but it doesn't need to be added to what seems like every ride.

• Like 1

If that does happen, I hope they at least add a tame ride in addition to the coaster. That whole side of Future World will now be thrill rides when at one point everything except Body Wars was something anyone could ride.

• 1 month later...

I don't really like that because neither have anything to do with California and liked Paradise Pier the way it is.

For the changes with Marvel being added at Epcot, does everything have to be related to a franchise? Ratatouille does look good and it will be nice for World Showcase to have another ride but that means all 3 World Showcase rides are not original themes and Future World is slowly being taken over by the same with Nemo and now Guardians and The Galaxy and the ongoing rumors of Journey Into Imagination changing to something else like Phineas and Ferb or Inside Out.

That would be horrible if they changed it to something else. I miss the original version or even the 90s updated versions but I'll still take the version with not much to see during the backwards descent over replacing it with something else even if they keep the actual structure. I miss all the old Epcot dark rides that were 10 - 15 minutes and had so many show scenes.

I liked Paradise Pier the way it is too, and it would indeed be awful if they changed or got rid of Spaceship Earth. It is bad enough they are closing down the Great Movie Ride at the Studios park.

I liked Paradise Pier the way it is too, and it would indeed be awful if they changed or got rid of Spaceship Earth. It is bad enough they are closing down the Great Movie Ride at the Studios park.

How could they possibly get rid of the central iconic attraction Spaceship Earth??

Besides rethemeing the Sunwheel and swings to classic Disney characters, they also put in a Little Mermaid dark ride at the one end of the pier, and a Little Mermaid restaurant on the other end of the pier. There is Toy Story Mania in the middle of the pier but its somewhat themed to midway games to fit in with the pier. Seems like they want to remove Cali out of DCA anymore.

• Like 1