VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney Parks News

29yrswithaGApass

I'm expecting the crowds for the opening of the lands especially at Disneyland to make the crowds at Islands of Adventure for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in 2010  look like nothing. I'm just glad that it's not being built at the Magic Kingdom in Florida to help distribute crowds better.

I think they're more worried about too big a demand. Disneyland and Hollywood Studios are both way too small to handle the crowds they are expecting for Star Wars. They know this will be a problem with a lot of disappointed guests. They saw the lines at Universal when Harry Potter opened and expect the same thing:

20100618__potter3.jpg

I do think they'll have some backlash. I think many people will be disappointed that they are on a planet that they don't know from the films. When people think of Star Wars, they (I think) have very specific expectation of what they want to see. I'm sure they'll be very immersive and well done lands/attractions, but I think people will be expecting to see the cantina and the band playing in it and things like that from the films. When they don't find it, I think there will be disappointment.

And Solo was kind of a dud of a movie

The biggest problem I see is food. One of the big success stories that Universal has had was selling food in Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and in the Simpsons too now. Disney has looked at that and tried to emulate it, but they haven't had any IPs that really had a food element besides Beauty & The Beast. With Avatar they created a whole special menu that was exotic and "themed" to Pandora, but when it comes down to it it's not something people were clamoring for like Butterbeer, Krusty Burgers, and Duff. The same thing for Star Wars-- who wants instant bread and blue milk? What other gimmicky stuff will they create that has no basis in the Star Wars universe? They'll sell a ton of merchandise (they already do), but I don't think it will have the "I have to buy everything" appeal that Harry Potter does. Combine that with the fact that Disney is spending building Star Wars 2-3X what Universal spent on Wizarding World and it's going to be harder to recoup the investment.

The Star Wars films do not really have any marketable foodstuffs like the Harry Potter films. There is the blue milk Luke drinks on the moisture farm in A New Hope, the snack sticks rations that Yoda disliked as well as Yoda's stew in The Empire Strikes Back. The live frogs Jabba eats in Return of the Jedi. The dead animal Jar-Jar tries to steal and the fruit he eats in The Phantom Menance, and the fruit Anakin and Padme dine on in Attack of the Clones. Can't think of any food in Revenge of the Sith. Then there is the blue bread Rey is paid with in The Force Awakens, aka A New Hope 2.0. The Last Jedi has the infamous Luke milking alien cow teets, which I do not think will sell well.

Contrast that with the Harry Potter films with all the fanciful and magical candies and drinks they consume. Its something most IPs do not have. 

Edited by The Master

On 2/13/2019 at 12:05 AM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Disney could definitely work new foods into future Star Wars films and take care of that.  Look what they did with Cars 2 to sell diecast cars and toys.

Disney is going to release a SW cookbook, as part of a multi media program tied to Galaxy Edge. They are pretty much planing it to be a spinoff IP from thd main SW IP. There will a whole mess of bookx to explain the story and themes in the lands because there will be very little from the films. There will not even be music from any of the films in SWGE. There are also rumors that Disney will upcharge for Fastpasses in SWGE. Supposedly Disney has been toying with upcharging for Fastpasses since the development of WDW's Mypass. Euro Disneyland already has a upchargd Fastpass system in place. 

They've been doing these after hours/pre-opening events for a ridiculous upcharge so people can do the new attractions with minimal waits and crowds. I'm expecting more of that rather than Fastpass upcharges. They've resisted that (highly lucrative) cash flow this long, I don't see that changing. The pre/after hours events make them even more money.

WDW has embraced the pre/after upcharge events, while DL seems to not have adopted them to the same extent as WDW. As far as I know, the only routine upchage event that DL has that I know of is their Halloween time. They do not yet have a upchage Christmas event like WDW has had gor decades. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/version-of-maxpass-coming-to-wdw-in-may.953428/page-8

https://www.disboards.com/threads/paid-fp-options-coming-soon-to-wdw.3739005/

There are rumors that paid Fast Pass is coming later this year, 1 - 2 for free and a charge for extras or keep the 3 free ones but only for the less popular rides. Even with nothing announced yet I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them try this. 

9 hours ago, Yoshi said:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/version-of-maxpass-coming-to-wdw-in-may.953428/page-8

https://www.disboards.com/threads/paid-fp-options-coming-soon-to-wdw.3739005/

There are rumors that paid Fast Pass is coming later this year, 1 - 2 for free and a charge for extras or keep the 3 free ones but only for the less popular rides. Even with nothing announced yet I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them try this. 

I really miss the old ticketed system, it was way more fair for everyone. I'm sure this could help control the crowds a little bit more, but it wouldn't be as effective as the original way.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:17 AM, ThemeParkRider said:

I really miss the old ticketed system, it was way more fair for everyone. I'm sure this could help control the crowds a little bit more, but it wouldn't be as effective as the original way.

Disneyland still has the original free paper system and a upcharge smartphone app version. 

I also liked how there were less rides with Fast Pass. The high capacity rides likes Pirates of the Caribbean had lines with multiple switchbacks full yet the line never stopped moving and what looked like a really bad line took less than 10 minutes. Compared to WDW's version where standby can easily get to a 45 minute wait because almost all the capacity is going to Fast Pass.

• Like 1

I think it's definitely gotten worse since then. Besides all the price increases like tickets being raised what seems like twice a year, food and drinks, parking etc. there are all the upcharge events that cut into park hours like the Halloween parties up to 4 times a week. It's frustrating to have to decide 60 days on site what rides you want to book a Fast Pass for and then if someone is offsite they have no chance of the better rides unless they constantly refresh and then booking 4th and more on the same day has such low availability. Also running rides at half capacity on slow days or early/late in the day causing lines to build even faster.

• Like 1

It seems like the underlying theme in all of this is Disney isn't what it used to be - for many reasons. I still love WDW and it's fantastic, but in comparison with even just 20 years ago there's noticeable differences in not only the quality of service with cast members but the overall programs and services offered by the company. To me, they're so sure that they have people hooked with all of the past and upcoming additions like Galaxy's Edge that they know they don't have to bother going the extra mile to deliver excellence.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I visited at Disneyland early last Dec. While the park seemed to be much busier than it was last year, GE was the least crowded section of the park. Through the MF ride still had a long ride, I didn't think it was all that good of a ride. It really depends what position you get and the engineer positions are not that much fun. Pressing the repair buttons really distracts you from what is going on with the ride, not to mention the poor view. None of the shops or restaurants offered anything that appealed to me. The land looks nice, but other than that its pretty blah.  

Heard that the new Resistance rides are having several issues at both parks. 

I heard to request the pilot since that I supposedly the best of the 3 options, if that is allowed or maybe it depends on the cast member working at the time.

I hope whenever I go to Disney World again that Rise of the Resistance will be using a regular line without the boarding groups.

It sounds horrible to have to wake up in the middle of the night to get to the park before 7 a.m. to have a chance at a boarding time with them lasting a few minutes some days. You then have to hope your the app doesn't crash or freeze up as soon as the boarding times open up or you are in trouble. Now the window to return to the ride is going to be an hour and it could conflict with a FP+ reservation. It would be frustrating to have to choose using your boarding time from say 2 - 3 p.m. and then lose your FP+ for a popular ride you booked 60 days ago if it was for the same or close to the 1 hour window and not be able to ride without waiting in standby. 

9 hours ago, Yoshi said:

I heard to request the pilot since that I supposedly the best of the 3 options, if that is allowed or maybe it depends on the cast member working at the time.

I hope whenever I go to Disney World again that Rise of the Resistance will be using a regular line without the boarding groups.

It sounds horrible to have to wake up in the middle of the night to get to the park before 7 a.m. to have a chance at a boarding time with them lasting a few minutes some days. You then have to hope your the app doesn't crash or freeze up as soon as the boarding times open up or you are in trouble. Now the window to return to the ride is going to be an hour and it could conflict with a FP+ reservation. It would be frustrating to have to choose using your boarding time from say 2 - 3 p.m. and then lose your FP+ for a popular ride you booked 60 days ago if it was for the same or close to the 1 hour window and not be able to ride without waiting in standby. 

I feel the existence of a standby and a fast pass ruins the immersion of rise. The boarding pass makes it feel special, which is how it should be (or some form of virtual queue that somehow fits the plot). I'm entitled to that opinion.