VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney Parks News

29yrswithaGApass

20 hours ago, Yoshi said:

I heard to request the pilot since that I supposedly the best of the 3 options, if that is allowed or maybe it depends on the cast member working at the time.

I hope whenever I go to Disney World again that Rise of the Resistance will be using a regular line without the boarding groups.

It sounds horrible to have to wake up in the middle of the night to get to the park before 7 a.m. to have a chance at a boarding time with them lasting a few minutes some days. You then have to hope your the app doesn't crash or freeze up as soon as the boarding times open up or you are in trouble. Now the window to return to the ride is going to be an hour and it could conflict with a FP+ reservation. It would be frustrating to have to choose using your boarding time from say 2 - 3 p.m. and then lose your FP+ for a popular ride you booked 60 days ago if it was for the same or close to the 1 hour window and not be able to ride without waiting in standby. 

This is why I no longer go to WDW parks anymore except for doing a Mickey's Halloween Party and Typhoon Lagoon once a year. With that kind of mess is what makes the WDW dry parks no longer fun. Universal is less of a PITA. Even Disneyland has really gone downhill this year. You can see they slashed their maintenance budgets there, as well as increased crowds and declining operations. 

I waited in single rider lines for the MF ride so I doubt I could request a position. I did get gunner a couple of times which was more fun but found the push button controls arkward. It really should be a joystick control for the guns. Star Tours is really a better ride. 

I don't get why they are calling thd bizarre Tomorrowland change back to its original 1970's style, modernization? The problem with Tomorrowland is that is always doomed to become outdated. That is why they went with the 1950's Art Deco redo so it would be timeless. That new entrance arch screams outdated 1970's futurism, it looks less modern, not more so. 

That link is an interesting read. 

Edited by The Master

26 minutes ago, The Master said:

That new entrance arch screams outdated 1970's futurism, it looks less modern, not more so.

I think it's a vestige of their plans from a possible overhaul if the Tomorrowland movie worked.

They really need to embrace the idea they went with in Paris, "the future that never was". That way it's a vision of the future from a time past, essentially a time capsule. Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland (at least the back half) is still the 1971 version, and it looks like they're stripping away the 90's stuff back to some form of that version. The Contemporary is very much in the same vein of a version of the future that is trapped in time. I know they've started a test makeover of the rooms in the Contemporary which embrace a mid-century modern aesthetic, and I think we'll see the same in Tomorrowland. Almost taking things to a 1955 vision of the future and embracing Walt's vision of Tomorrowland but as more of a time capsule. 

https://blogmickey.com/2020/01/more-1994-tomorrowland-theming-elements-removed-for-visual-refresh

That sucks @$$ big time, the 90's Art Deco elements were much nicer than the boring 70's style it replaced.It just seems like Disney is just making a bunch of bone headed moves. Many of the changes they did in DCA were not great either. Their Waveswinger was better and more unique as the Orange Stinger than Silly Symphony Swings. The area Soarin is in was better a Condor Flats rather than being a Grizzy Peak extension. Even the original park entrance with the Golden Gate Monorail bridge spaning two mosaic tile mountains was nicer than the current replica of Disney Studios Park's entrance. I hate the directions Disney is going anymore. 

Sorry for the double post but I found a good article that shares my thoughts on Tomorrowland at WDW.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/01/editorial-tomorrowland-1994-magic-kingdom-one-visually-compelling-places-disney-park/

It seems in generally, Disney has gotten lazy and haphazard with their managing of their IPs and parks anymore. 

A little meme humor to cheer some of us up.

1998 Disneyland Tomorrowland renovation: We have completed the laziest and worst land renovation ever!

2020 Disney World Tomorrowland renovation: Hold my beer.  

Edited by The Master

• 4 weeks later...

Disney CEO Bob Iger just stepped down unexpectedly, and Bob Chapek who was the head of parks is now the CEO.

There must be a health issue or a scandal behind this since he was scheduled to retire but is suddenly stepping down and they announced it after the stock market closed.  

I really disliked Iger, who openly admits he renege on his gentlemen's agreement with Lucas and other various poor decisions. However, Bob Chapek is worse. He is well known as a penny pincher who is behind all the ride and show cuts in the Disney parks and the low quality direct to VHS sequels Disney churned out in the 90's. Disney's future is not looking rosy.

Edited by The Master

• 2 weeks later...

There's no excuse for a lot of the stuff that has happened at WDW over the past few weeks, between the Haunted Mansion closing for several days due to a mechanical issue (caused by differed maintenance), a Jungle Cruise boat sinking, a hand falling of on the Carousel of Progress, among other things. Today it was this:

Great article about the recent string of maintenance related incidents at WDW this week:
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/03/09/disney-worlds-no-good-very-bad-week-of-ride-accidents-points-to-a-bigger-issue-at-the-orlando-resort?fbclid=IwAR2mllapu-IUBanq4iHdCYylFHYSxJgULGf7G4CWhryiDA8J3t3F9AHquvw

• Like 1

It is really frustrating. Raise prices each year or multiple times a year, upcharge event after upcharge event and the results are cutback on everything. Shorter park operating hours, rides running at half capacity, character meet and greets removed or less availability, other minor cutbacks like taking away bread from the table service restaurants and now maintenance issues. Then that leads to secondary problems like reading Easy WDW and seeing zero Fast Pass availbility for Hollywood Stuidos the day before a visit and seeing a full queue for the Little Mermaid show on a weekday in February.

I hate seeing what is happening to the resort. It used to be one of my favorite places to visit and although it was never cheap, I really don't feel like what is being offered is even close to being worth what it costs to visit.

Even when I visited Disneyland a little less than three years ago, our visit was plagued with attraction downtimes. On just the first two days, these are the rides that were delayed or closed for significant amounts of time:

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Peter Pan's Flight

Haunted Mansion

Snow White's Scary Adventures

Space Mountain (x2, 2nd time we were evacuated)

Pirates of the Caribbean

Indiana Jones Adventure (x4)

Splash Mountain (x2, 2nd time we were evacuated)

California Screamin'

I know this was a few years ago, but having gone to WDW so frequently it didn't feel like a coincidence. Probably a cut to the preventative maintenance budget that had visible consequences.

I would be curious if anyone has been to DL since then or frequents enough to know if this is normal? 

Edited by ThemeParkRider

Indy has always had frequent breakdowns. However, breakdowns at DL have become more common inrecent years. DL is also not kept nearly as clean as it used to be. I have a better time at Knotts than DL anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, from $13 to $19 for the bacon burger?  That's closing in on a 50% increase, which is utterly ridiculous.

It's a shame that Disney had a chance to use their one-of-a-kind brand to provide some encouragement during times like these, but have instead used their downtime as a conduit to make themselves more restrictive.  I'm inclined to agree that decisions like these will cause families who are seeking a quick return to normalcy to look elsewhere once all the Covid-related isolation protocols have passed.

They have to raise prices to make up for the parks being half full once they reopen.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/iger-floats-temp-checks-at-disney-parks-but-wall-street-sees-two-years-before-normalcy-returns-1234573760/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cahall forecasts “zero park attendance” for the back half of fiscal 2020 and only 50% capacity in fiscal 2021. Disney’s current fiscal year should end around September, meaning the equity research firm is projecting that the current closures will last until at least then.

“We see the limiting factor as healthcare technology as assets like Walt Disney World will either need to operate with social distancing in-place – significantly limiting capacity – or a vaccine will need to be widely enough available that the population will again feel safe in such a gathering,” he wrote. “Testing may also improve, allowing customers with immunity/antibodies to behave a bit more freely.”

“While the healthcare community is working hard we think it’s overly optimistic to expect either a widely distributed vaccine or large parts of the population being immune in the next 12 months,” added Cahall. “As such our attendance forecasts are a best guess with a precipitous decline followed by a ~12-month recovery.”

The parks can social distance themselves all they want but what happens on the airplane getting to the parks. That is probably the closest strangers get in contact with each other in their lives for extended periods of time.  At the very least the airlines would need to block out the center seats.