VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure Lion Sign

29yrswithaGApass

Long before the creator of Great Adventure, Warner LeRoy, introduced the original Lion Sign park icon (right photo), his father Mervyn LeRoy, the producer of the Wizard of Oz, gave us the Cowardly Lion character (left photo).

Do you see any similarities between the two lions?

gallery_2_7_19861.jpg

Long before the creator of Great Adventure, Warner LeRoy, introduced the original Lion Sign park icon (right photo), his father Mervyn LeRoy, the producer of the Wizard of Oz, gave us the Cowardly Lion character (left photo).

Do you see any similarities between the two lions?

Catch the Lion in the Wizard of Oz at 8PM on Friday November 9th on TBS.

FAST FACT: Great Adventure's Showcase Theatre presented The Wizard of Oz in the Fall of 2003.

20034086mod2.jpgIMG_4087mod.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
With the Hot Air Balloon as an icon for the Enchanted Forest and the Lion an icon for the Safari Park, I wonder why they decided to use the tiger on their logo and not the lion?

74SBPage1-1.jpg

The lion was not originally an icon for the Safari Park, it was an icon for the entire complex. It was later moved to the Safari. I don't think any of the signs they have had since at the park entrance even come close to matching the magic of the lion. The current park sign looks more like an entrance to an office building than a theme park.

• 3 months later...
Now that we have some veteran Safari experts with us on the forums, does anyone know if the original highway Lion Sign had a name or nickname? I am wondering if it assumed the name of one of the "real" lions in the Safari.

Great question. Hopefully someone has an answer.

Great question. Hopefully someone has an answer.

No, the sign was out on the Highway, and all of us animal handlers came in behind the Animal Care Center to park. I only saw the sign very few times because we just never wandered out that way. The orginal place that employees signed up for jobs before the park opened was on the highway, we did drive our Zebra stripped trucks out there checkin out the cute chicks applying for jobs! :D Is the big white tent office still the Head Quarters for all the bosses? Whatever happened to the big Balloon anyway? I always wanted to go up in it, but never got a chance? As to naming the Lion, Warner LeRoy was wild about my elephants, the big shots were always bringing people to the Elephant/Rhino barn for a tour. Got to meet alot of famous people back then.

Edited by Gary Hill

No, the Administration building moved across the park in the early 1980's. That old tent building has been used as storage over the years, and now parts of it are a shop and the entrance to the Superman roller coaster. Employee dining is still over there next to it though.