VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure Lion Sign

29yrswithaGApass

Whatever happened to the big Balloon anyway? I always wanted to go up in it, but never got a chance?

The Big Balloon only lasted through the 1977 season. The airfield remained untouched all the way until 1990 when the site was partially used for the installation of the ShockWave stand-up coaster. Today the area is used for a go-kart track.

• 4 years later...

I recently acquired a couple of old copies of Great Adventure's original employee newsletter from 1975 entitled BALLOON. I will be adding these to the history timeline soon but in the mean time check out this cartoon featuring the lion from the old highway sign. I think you probably had to be working there to get a lot of the humor, but it is still coool to see the lion used!

gallery_2_35_708069.jpg

• 4 years later...

The fact that you continue to come across pictures of a park that first opened 48 years ago, that you have never seen before, leads me to believe that the mound of pictures you must have is nearly endless.  As you said, this is truly a great find.  It also reflects the values of those responsible for maintenance of the park and it's uniquely GA icons at the time.  Another piece of Warner LeRoy's larger than life vision of the park, GA's DNA, and like Warner LeRoy, a bit over the top in some way.

• 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Great Adventure Lion Sign
  • 11 months later...
39 minutes ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

The light up letters were removed when the sign was placed by the Safari entrance.  The letters were saved and are in the hands of someone with long ties to the park.  I wish I had them.  

im not talking about the letters, I'm talking about the lion and the flag sign, did they still have the lion and the flag sign in storage or they did scrap it, because I wanted to see that sign back for the 50th anniversary of six flags great adventure

Edited by harry2004

2 hours ago, harry2004 said:

im not talking about the letters, I'm talking about the lion and the flag sign, did they still have the lion and the flag sign in storage or they did scrap it, because I wanted to see that sign back for the 50th anniversary of six flags great adventure

Read the end of the spotlight.