VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Kingda Ka - Original Queue Line

29yrswithaGApass

Very cool spotlight. I had only seen a few pictures of the original queue before this and these pictures had a lot more details. It's a shame the park did all that work with the carvings in the queue and so many sets of switchbacks to not being used for very long.

I don't know if it is true or not but I remember hearing years ago that the queue was capable of holding a 6 hour line. It would have been interesting during the first couple of seasons if on a really crowded day, how much of it would get filled.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this Spotlight! Very helpful to see how it first started out. Seems like the original FlashPass and ADA entrance has been tweaked a lot since then too.

I wish they'd bring back the observation area. I loved watching the ride from there.

I think that the lack of any kind of observation area is a problem for the experience as a whole. Guests would be much happier if they could watch the rest of their group ride, even if they don't want to ride. Especially since standing on the exit bridge is not permitted.

agreed, if you aren't a rider there is really no place to watch a launch unless you are in line to ride. Even as a rider I like to stand a just watch a train launch. One of the things I love about Storm Runner and TTD is how close you are to an actual launch. Its just an exciting thing to see as a park guest

Not so much related to the original queue, but given the supposed high cost of maintaining Ka along with standard expenses such as electric consumption and staffing, I wonder how much on average it costs to launch Kingda Ka each time? I don't recall ever hearing a number but I am sure some internal number cruncher with the proper data must have calculated that at some point.

• Like 1

Yes! My spotlight wishes have finally been granted! :)

I've always been curious about the old queue, I find it crazy that they put so much effort into theming it only to stop using it after a couple of months. That being said, even the shorter version of the queue that is used today doesn't fill all the way most of the time, so the old version would probably be unnecessarily long now.

I'm curious, was it a state mandate that the park stop using the old queue, or did the park decide this on its own?

Edited by RC98

there was an Observation area? wow, Coaster Studios Parody makes it sound like that never even existed. I'm guessing the switchbacks now are where that observation area was or around there.

See the diagram above. The box with the dash outline below the purple observation area is the current queue bars.

there was an Observation area? wow, Coaster Studios Parody makes it sound like that never even existed. I'm guessing the switchbacks now are where that observation area was or around there.

Maybe he didn't even know about it, it didn't last long and today its well-hidden.

I was actually lucky enough to experience the original queue once. It was about a week after it opened and we waited 4 hours at the ride entrance before the ride finally opened. I remember the cross under the launch track, the canopy switchback areas as well as the massive size of the queue. In retrospect it is a good thing they shortened the queue so much. I think when people now hit the switchbacks so early they assume the line is longer than it really is, so a lot of people turn away. With the old queue that wouldn't be the case.

I was in the real Asia (Japan) the week Ka opened. The Tokyo TV stations covered the event and everyone in our branch office was asking all about the size of the ride. When I got back, the original queue was still open but it was practically full so I didn't get to ride it because I only had a couple hours at the park. I finally got on it after the shutdown when the queue was refigured. At least I was able to take advantage of the observation deck on that initial visit.

• 1 month later...

You entered at the same exact place you do today...and yes the same Kingda Ka sign was there in the same spot.

The main switchback queue today was the over flow queue in the original line.

You used to go straight back and under the track where you turn left now into the switchback queues.

There was yet another queue building in the middle. You should be happy the original line no longer exists as it was a much longer walk for re-rides.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...