VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Yum Yum Palace (AKA Yum Yum Cafe)

GAcoaster

Excellent spotlight you guys. This is probably the place we eat most often during the summers at the park as we like being able to order a decent sized meal with one of the pudding parfaits and just sit outside during the nice weather. This really is a staple of the park at this point and when I see the lines that accumulate inside at times you can tell it is enjoyed by so many people.

Btw I love the picture comparing 1974 to 2005 with the seam in the cement walking area that is still today shaped perfecly to where the lawn used to be on the building :)

Nice spotlight! Back when it was first converted to Character Cafe there used to be a fiberglass Porky Pig that was removed about two years later. Last year while up in Nitro's station I saw Porky in storage under Batman's station though a open door. There also used to be a second Hamburger column that was removed about the same time that Porky was.

Edited by The Master

Nice spotlight! Back when it was first converted to Character Cafe there used to be a fiberglass Porky Pig that was removed about two years later. Last year while up in Nitro's station I saw Porky in storage under Batman's station though a open door. There also used to be a second Hamburger column that was removed about the same time that Porky was.

Good memory! I forgot about Petunia and Porky Pig.

gallery_2_131_1934166.jpg

Thanks, yeah I can see why they were removed from that photo. Poor Porky and Petunia would be right in the way if a long line formed to order food (which happens often).

I always got the chicken finger platter with a chocolate parfait. I also used to love the little fruit drinks in the plastic containers shapped like the flavor it was with the crazy straws! Do they still sell those at the park?

I always got the chicken finger platter with a chocolate parfait. I also used to love the little fruit drinks in the plastic containers shapped like the flavor it was with the crazy straws! Do they still sell those at the park?

A few years ago we got dinner there after park closing (yes they used to serve food after park closing), we got burgers but they were out of fries for the night so they gave us a free, huge platter of chicken tenders that we took home and lasted 3 nights for us! Good times back then.

The best years to eat at yum yum palace were whe shockwave was across from it. You would be eating then here the roar of shockwave going around the track. it gave you the feeling of beeing in a great place with great rides!

I finally took a look at the Yum Yum Palace SPOTLIGHT and what a delight it was. I love the selection of pictures you guys provided, and true GAFREAK, it was great when Shockwave was there, as I was happy to of had a chance to ride that for the short time it was at the park....

• 1 month later...

They did sell beer from the very beginning. All alcohol sales were stopped in 1987, with the exception of private events. Over time, that restruction was dropped and now beer and wine are sold in manylocations around both the Theme Park and Hurricane Harbor.

I have heard the park stopped selling alcohol for a long time after two people got drunk and started fighting with each other when one of them pulled a knife on the other. They also started using metal detectors after that happened.

Edited by The Master

They stopped selling alcohol because they were trying to change the park's image to being a more family friendly park.

It's funny because probably the MOST family friendly park I know is Busch Gardens Europe, and they sell alcohol everywhere.

Finally the park realized it wasn't selling alcohol in the park that was the problem, but enforcement of park policy, which is why they now sell beer and wine throughout the park again. There's nothing wrong with adults enjoying a beverage as part of their day, the real problem is (and always was) people drinking in the parking lot. For the price of beer and wine in the park, people are not getting drunk on it.

I think I have taken part in a beer once or twice in the park just because it was a rather ht day and I felt like having a nice cold one in the afternoon, but I definitely don't see too much problem with it being sold in the park. For the most part many adults are responsible enough in the park not to go overboard, and I think for the amount of people who visit each year, those consuming beer or wine is probably a small number in comparrison. I think the problem could be people around my age who seem to think that everything they do has its fun amplified when they are drunk. This leads to the "tailgating" in the parking lot and stuff like that which is a major problem in terms of park behgavioral policy. Personally while I enjoy the tailgate for sporting events and such, I see no need for it at an amusement park, but some do.

It's just what I heard and high prices won't stop some people. At Universal's horrer nights they charge a arm and a leg for alcohol but still people get stinking drunk and violent since Universal sells booze everywhere during those events anymore (they ruined Horrer Nights because of it). But GAdv does not sell booze everywhere, only in a few spots and even Universal does not sell booze everywere during normal hours (they set up booze stands, carts, and even have girls walking around selling shooters during HHH) . You are right there is nothing wrong with a adult enjoying one beverage but more than one can start problems. As for the fight, it was on the local news here in Philly but I can't remember if it was inside the park itself or in the parking lot which is probably more likely. And Jetsdevs you are right about tailgating in a park there is really no point to it.

Edited by The Master

• 4 months later...

I found out the poster of that photo is the park president of that place and he has visited Great Adventure numerous times when he lived in New York City so that explains why. By the way, the park does look amazing. Just look at their rapids...

imperio-elefantes_136.jpg

And look at that paint job for that SLC! WOW!

slc014_143.jpg

5164064ax3_112.jpg

Sorry, anyways back on topic! LOL.

Edited by Josh Davidson