VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Attending a Ride Closing

As tomorrow marks the closing of both the Universe of Energy and the Great Movie Ride at Walt Disney World, it got me thinking what rides and attractions I was on-hand when it closed forever. Have you attended any closures (even if it wasn't an official ceremony but just on-hand for the last ride/show)? This goes for any park and not just GA.

For me, I was on hand for the closing of Lightnin' Loops at GA, and for the World of Motion at EPCOT, Kitchen Kabaret at EPCOT, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at the Magic Kingdom.

The closest I have gotten was riding Rolling Thunder 5 days before it closed for good. Even though it wasn't the final day or final time the ride ran, it is a strange feeling riding and knowing you will never be able to experience that ride again.

Did Hang Time close in 2014 or 2015? closest I can think of; never been to a park after labor day except Universal Orlando parks, MK, and EPCOT in 2014 (last visit to Disney too, need to go back next year or the year after, not into Star Wars, just want the Slinky Dog cred).

Universe of Energy didn't close without a fight. Supposedly for the last public ride, there was an evacuation at the dinosaur part and it would take too long to reset so the ride closed for good with all those people waiting not getting the full ride.

The same thing happened at the World of Motion closing. We kept riding it right up until 9pm and got on the ride at the stroke of nine for our last ride, We made it all the way to the Used Chariots scene and the ride stopped. They tried numerous times to restart the ride but no luck. We were walked out and evacuated. The next day in the Orlando Sentinel it said that they had some sort of breakdown which they couldn't reset.

I rode Rolling Thunder on its final day near closing. Made a special trip to Hershey to ride Roller Soaker a couple weeks before it closed. Swam Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon a week before it closed.

The closest thing I have is attending Riding of the Bull when Rolling Thunder closed. Even though RT's last day was Sunday, the event was on Saturday and there was a closing "ceremony" and slideshow (full of GAH pics!) hosted jointly by ACE and the park.

However, I was on the last train that night, which actually dispatched at 12:01am, so tecchnicallyyyy I was on the first train on the last date of operation. :P

Was on hand for the Great Movie Ride closing last night. Definetely more crowded than usual, but the ride never went over a two hour wait. Rode it severl times, with my last time being around 9:10(the park was closing at 9:30). The crowds where sad, but very enthusiastic. The cast was both. As soon as my last ride ended our guide immedietely got of the ride and started crying, as was the sentiment with much of the cast at the ride.

Coincidentally I was at Epcot earlier in the day. Didn't ride Energy Universe because, to be honest, never liked it. Line didnt look long at all, but was outside the building.

It was just luck I planned my trip with GMR ride closing. Definetely one of my favorites since I was a kid and it hurts to loose it. That's the only time I've ever been on a ride the day it closed.

Also, for those wondering, in the last few days of operations the GMR was running both the gangster and cowboy versions of the show, which to my knowledge they haven't done in years. The cast at the ridemade it VERY clear that due to the extra crowds NO show, or row requests woud be honored. It was pretty much you get what we give you.

I guess they had to do that because so many people would have requested the western scene. I think I only got to see that version two times compared to at least 10 of the gangster scene.

The same thing happened at the World of Motion closing. We kept riding it right up until 9pm and got on the ride at the stroke of nine for our last ride, We made it all the way to the Used Chariots scene and the ride stopped. They tried numerous times to restart the ride but no luck. We were walked out and evacuated. The next day in the Orlando Sentinel it said that they had some sort of breakdown which they couldn't reset.

Interesting, it has got be really low odds of the same type of breakdown happening on the final rides in the same park and in the same area of the park.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...