VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Dan Ingrham - One of GA's earliest advertising managers

A few years back, shortly after doing the Great Adventure History Museum at the park, I was contacted by a Great Adventure veteran employee - Dan Ingrham from the park's marketing department.  Dan worked at the park in the 1970's and was responsible for many of the graphic layouts found in the pamphlets and advertisements of that era.  

Dan's most famous design was the rainbow logo which ultimately became the first design used by Six Flags when they acquired the park.  The rainbow was based on a more simple design first introduced in 1976 and the updated version incorporated bright gold stars and a bolder and broader rainbow.  The following year the letters of SIX FLAGS were added.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dan on several occasions and his stories about the park's earliest days were truly informative and entertaining.  I was able to acquire many of the paper-related goods in Dan's collection including the original rainbow artwork which he was so proud of.  Below are just a few examples of his creations.

Sadly, this past June Dan passed away after a prolonged illness.  Dan was a fan of our GAH site although he rarely posted in our public topics.  Even so, he wrote up a little memo for us about his career and time at Great Adventure which I am happy to post here.

Thanks Dan for sharing your talents with us and for being such a positive influence on Great Adventure's history.

- Harry

large.5a5180c9a137d_DI1copy.jpg.378a8dfb

large.5a5180c7ae210_DI2copy.jpg.e3d7f8d1

Sampling of Dan's artwork:

large.5a517fb39dc13_IMG_1216copy.jpg.239

large.SWScan01911_copy.jpg.c41320ad04292

1980_PolishFest_A copy.jpg

SWScan01896 copy.jpg

large.scan0020_copy.jpg.239322bc8a593fe7

SWScan01902 copy.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...