VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Safari trucks

The Master

Surprised there isn't a topic about these trucks. Anyway, the off-road tour trucks are surplus M393 military 5 on cargo trucks with six wheel drive. Most used 8.3L turbocharged Cummins diesel engines that produce 240 horsepower. They use 5 speed Allison automatic transmissions and 2 speed transfer cases. 

US_Marine_Corps_030224-M-XT622-034_USMC_

These were purchased from and upfitted by Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia. https://www.easternsurplus.net/

They used to have a page about them supplying GADV with the trucks but it seems to be hosted on a paysite now. https://www.easternsurplus.net/news/GreatAdventure

As I've commented previously, every time I rode in those trucks, they are exceptionally noisy, with smelly fumes and have a terribly uncomfortably ride over the bumpy sections.  When they are accelerating, it is pretty much impossible to hear the tour guides talking over the intercom.  I know the trucks were selected to fit the part, and they ultimately get the job done, but I would have considered a potential electric propulsion alternative.  The other benefit of that option is that they could promote the 'green' ness of the park, especially with the natural setting of the safari.  Currently the smoke bellowing trucks stand in contrast with their oft-advertised efforts to preserve the natural environment.

1 hour ago, dougdrummer said:

As I've commented previously, every time I rode in those trucks, they are exceptionally noisy, with smelly fumes and have a terribly uncomfortably ride over the bumpy sections.  When they are accelerating, it is pretty much impossible to hear the tour guides talking over the intercom.  I know the trucks were selected to fit the part, and they ultimately get the job done, but I would have considered a potential electric propulsion alternative.  The other benefit of that option is that they could promote the 'green' ness of the park, especially with the natural setting of the safari.  Currently the smoke bellowing trucks stand in contrast with their oft-advertised efforts to preserve the natural environment.

Maybe with the diesels they can use the cooking oil from around the park to power the trucks. Part of the time.  I've never had a diesel or looked into what it takes to use the cooking oil but maybe there could be a little savings and a carbon footprint improvement

People who buy these trucks often convert them to run on old cooking oil, especially as these things get poor MPGs. In stock form and unloaded the 5 tons only get 7 MPG and can only reach 55 mph. With upgraded tires they can reach 65 mph.