VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Cedar Fair Additions for 2019

Mr.Six

With Yukon Striker (Tallest, Fastest and Longest Dive Coaster) already announced earlier this morning for Canada’s Wonderland, what could the rest of the Cedar Fair chain be getting?  Some parks aren’t announcing until later this month and some are announcing this week.  This is definitely a very exciting time for enthusiasts everywhere.

Carowinds: Mack launch coaster

Cedar Point: New flat to replace Witches' Wheel, it has been surrounded by survey markers most of the season.  Wicked Twister removed to make more space for 2020 addition.

Worlds of Fun: Wicked Twister from Cedar Point replaces Boomerang.

Kings Island:  Gerstlauer Infinity coaster reuses Son of Beast station.  Invertigo is demolished.

California's Great America: large waterpark expansion

Kings Dominion: New water slide

Valleyfair: family flat ride

The rest of the parks: new grass or a new restaurant

I think Dorney is getting some kind of new ride for 2019.

For 2019 All Season Fast Lane Plus the description states: " Valid for one FAST LANE PLUS wristband per visit during the 2019 season. Bypass the regular lines on 22 rides and attractions in Dorney Park PLUS 5 attractions in Wildwater Kingdom, including SNAKE PIT! "

I'm only counting 21 rides (not including anything from Wildwater Kingdom) in the list of current rides Fast Lane works with:

https://www.dorneypark.com/tickets-passes/fast-lane

SANDUSKY, Ohio — Cedar Point on Tuesday announced a new attraction coming next summer.

The park says The Forbidden Frontier on Adventure Island opens in summer 2019.

Here is how Cedar Point describes the new attraction:

“Grab your map and prepare for a minute-by-minute real-life adventure, where you and others are challenged, questioned and pushed to the limits in both brain and brute power. Be immersed in interactive encounters with the island inhabitants, push yourself with physically active challenges that test your resourcefulness and fortitude! It’s your job to discover and uncover all that you can; to solve the mystery surrounding the Forbidden Frontier, and return to tell the tale. Every ending is different and determined by you and the secrets you unlock!”

Cedar Point says the “secrets” of the frontier will be revealed as it unlocks the adventure map; head back to the park’s website for updates and more.

The new attraction will be included in the price of admission.

Guess it's not a flat after all, kind of like Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom? 

• 2 weeks later...

2019 is looking to be a strange year,  I am not excited by what is being added to Cedar Fair parks.  I am excited by the additions at Six Flags and Seaworld Entertainment in 2019.  It looks like Cedar Fair is going to make the same mistake in 2020 by spending all of the money on three parks (hyper coaster at CGA, B&M coaster at KI, and a large addition at CP).  They did a better job of spreading the money around in 2018.  I am not sure how you fix an attendance problem at most of the parks by ignoring them.

• Like 1

If the smaller parks get nothing or none of them get coasters in 2020 that will be 12 - 13 years since a new coaster was added and still operating for Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun and Dorney. Even for smaller parks, that's still seems like way too much time to go without a coaster addition. Do Kings Island and Cedar Point really need new coasters after so many added recently (especially Cedar Point)?

I would hate to live in an area where a park like Worlds of Fun is the only major park around and be stuck with no major additions every year and having to drive at least a few hours to get to other parks that continue to add new rides every year.

• 6 months later...

Cedar Fair is buying the land at California’s Great America for $150.25 million.

https://santaclaranews.org/2019/03/25/city-council-preview-great-america-parcels-will-be-sold-susan-ellenberg-makes-debut/

Council will consider approving resolutions to sell Great America Theme Park parcels located at 1 Great America Parkway to Cedar Fair. Price tag – $150.25 million. This is happening because the old Redevelopment Agency was eliminated by state law. They have to sell their assets.

Grand Carnivale is being added to Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Worlds of Fun, and Dorney Park.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/03/26/1767432/0/en/Experience-Cedar-Fair-s-All-New-Grand-Carnivale-at-Select-Parks-this-Summer.html

Sandusky, Ohio, March 26, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in amusement parks, water parks and immersive entertainment, will present Grand Carnivale, a one-of-a-kind immersive evening spectacular featuring a high-spirited parade and nightly street party; the richly-themed event will spotlight a kaleidoscope of cultures with food, drink and live entertainment from around the world. This time limited event takes place at four parks this summer:

Kings Dominion in Doswell, Virginia and Kings Island in Mason, Ohio – June 15-July 7;

Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, Missouri – July 13-August 4; and

Dorney Park in Allentown, Pennsylvania – July 20-August 11.

Grand Carnivale will engage park guests in the energy, splendor and mystery of China, France, Germany, India and Italy with authentic food, signature beverages, music, dance and performances each evening. Festivities include the Spectacle of Color interactive parade featuring nine ornate floats, with costumed performers tossing an abundance of colorful bead strands to draw guests into the action.

Cedar Fair CEO Richard Zimmerman said, “With Grand Carnivale, Cedar Fair is demonstrating our commitment to offering our guests a truly unique experience. We’re delivering tremendous value by including this magnificent festival with park admission, further defining Grand Carnivale as the can’t-miss event of the summer for young adults and families alike.”

Grand Carnivale’s Spectacle of Color parade will feature custom-tailored floats by industry-leading scenic experience designer 3dx, An Iacono Company, as well as Kern Studios, the company that has crafted floats for the iconic Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans since 1947. “By tapping into the best creative minds in the business both within Cedar Fair and at our suppliers, we will deliver a broader entertainment experience that engages all five senses and creates lasting memories for our guests,” Zimmerman said.

It sounds interesting and I am going to see the parade at least once. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it being too popular at Dorney. After the water park closes for the day, some people go back to the rides area of the park, many others leave. Maybe this will convince people to stay?

20 hours ago, Yoshi said:

It sounds interesting and I am going to see the parade at least once. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it being too popular at Dorney. After the water park closes for the day, some people go back to the rides area of the park, many others leave. Maybe this will convince people to stay?

It might just get GP and Enthusiasts a like to check it out (and if they do get a coaster next year, come back)

• 2 weeks later...

Monster Jam Thunder Alley In-Park Experience coming to Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, and Dorney Park.

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/cedar-fair-and-feld-entertainment-enter-new-partnership-to-launch-monster-jam-thunder-alley-inpark-20190411-00256

Cedar Fair and Feld Entertainment Enter New Partnership to Launch Monster Jam® Thunder Alley™ In-Park Experience in 2019
By GlobeNewswire,  April 11, 2019, 07:15:00 AM EDT

Experience brings unprecedented opportunities for park guests to interact with world-famous Monster Jam trucks

Sandusky, Ohio, April 11, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE:FUN), a leader in amusement parks, water parks and immersive entertainment, is partnering with Feld Entertainment, the worldwide leader in live family entertainment, to present Monster Jam® Thunder Alley™, a new interactive experience coming to select Cedar Fair parks this season.  Combining Cedar Fair's best-in-class parks with Feld Entertainment's expertise in immersive attractions, the event will feature the shared capabilities in the production of exceptional shows and entertainment, award-winning attractions, and branded merchandising to create unique new experiences for Cedar Fair guests and fans of Monster Jam.

Monster Jam Thunder Alley will feature multiple interactive zones where guests can experience Monster Jam's most popular trucks - Grave Digger®, Max-D™, Megalodon®,Zombie and El Toro Loco® - like never before. The Monster Jam Freestyle Ride Truck Experience puts guests in an authentic Monster Jam truck for a ride over a thrilling freestyle-inspired course. Fans will learn how the Monster Jam trucks come to life in a first-of-its-kind Monster Jam Garage behind-the-scenes interactive experience.  In the Monster Jam Build-a-Truck area, guests can build their very own custom mini Monster Jam truck.  And the Monster Jam Pit Stop Play Area allows fans to create their own action using authentic Monster Jam die-cast trucks on a miniature track with ramps and obstacles.  

Monster Jam Thunder Alley will kick off at Cedar Fair's flagship park, Cedar Point, on May 18, 2019 and run through June 30. The event is also scheduled for Kings Dominion in Doswell, Virginia, July 20-September 2; and Dorney Park in Allentown, Pennsylvania, September 14-November 3.

Cedar Fair CEO Richard Zimmerman said "Partnering with Feld Entertainment brings together two of the world's premier entertainment companies. The combination of our shared capabilities will enhance our ability to deliver an even broader and more immersive guest experience.  The opportunity to bring Monster Jam Thunder Alley exclusively to our parks represents the first installment of our strategic collaboration and is another demonstration of Cedar Fair's commitment to delivering unique guest experiences, while also introducing our parks to Monster Jam's legion of worldwide fans. We look forward to further collaboration on additional compelling entertainment and experiences."

"We are thrilled to be working with Cedar Fair on Monster Jam Thunder Alley," said Feld Entertainment Chairman and CEO Kenneth Feld.  "Over the past 10 years, our strategy has been to evolve Monster Jam into a brand that reaches our fans year-round, wherever they are through television, licensing, consumer products, social media and, of course, our live events.  The creation of Monster Jam Thunder Alley builds upon this strategy as we have created a highly innovative theme park experience that goes beyond how our fans have ever engaged with Monster Jam before."

Entry to Monster Jam Thunder Alley is included in park admission. Some features of the event require advance reservations or an additional fee.

Edited by Medusa42
highlighted important statement

Although I would rather see ride additions (at least for Dorney), I like how Cedar Fair is trying different ideas to add new experiences to the park. If I’m at the park during this event, I’ll stop to see it.

• 1 month later...

Dorney is adding Pass Perks for this season. It looks a little similar to Six Flags Membership Rewards program the main difference being that you can't pick what reward you want.

Pass Perks

Earn rewards while having fun!

Get rewards simply by having fun? YES! With Dorney Park's Pass Perks, a new rewards program exclusively for Season Passholders, each and every park visit counts toward earning fantastic prizes that you can redeem on future visits. Is that AMAZING or what?

Here’s how it works if you have a Season Pass: You visit Dorney Park and have an awesome, colossal blast, like you always do. The next thing you know, you check email and there’s a message from us saying that the next time you visit during certain dates, you will receive a mega-marvelous goodie, like a FREE Bring-A-Friend ticket, one of our scrumptious treats or a humongous discount to something sensational. You never know what treat you’ll get, so it’s best to keep coming to the park and keep earning those valuable Pass Perks toward something AMAZING!

What’s more, Season Passholders don’t even need to sign up for this loyalty program. It’s included! Just visit Dorney Park to get the perks started.

https://www.dorneypark.com/tickets-passes/season-passes/pass-perks

Yeah you're right, it is like Funatics. That was 1 reward for each visit up to I think 6 visits. Some of those rewards were a free upgrade to preferred parking, 1 skip the line pass, 1 or 2 free sodas, and I think the final reward was a bring a friend free ticket.

Edit, I actually still have the email about the program from 2010, here were the full details:

Thought a visit to the park couldn't get any more rewarding?! Introducing Season Pass Funatics - our NEW Rewards Program that makes earning free stuff fun and easy!

You may have participated in our Funatics Rewards program last year. Based on your feedback, we've made some improvements to our Rewards Program - including a new name! Read on to learn more about the Season Pass Funatics Rewards Program, and how you can earn great rewards just for visiting the park!

How do you sign up?

Joining is simple! Just buy a 2010 Season Pass and visit any Six Flags theme park - that's it! Then after each of your first five qualified visits to the parks*, you'll get awesome rewards sent straight to your inbox.

What cool rewards can you earn?!

SKIP THE LINE PASS   After your first visit, use your Skip the Line Pass to hop aboard the ride of your choice without waiting in line - good for you AND a friend!

FREE SODA   After your second visit, quench your thirst with free refills for your 2010 Sport Bottle for the day! Just bring your Sport Bottle and reward voucher with you to the park. Don't have a 2010 Sport Bottle? Then get 2 free Regular fountain sodas!

FREE PARKING   After your third visit, how about getting free Regular Parking for the day?! Already have Season Pass Parking? Then get closer to the fun with a free Preferred Parking Upgrade, or treat a friend to the free Regular Parking reward.

BRING A FRIEND FREE   After your fourth visit, call the most fun person you know, because you've earned a Bring a Friend Free ticket good for one day admission to the park!

20% OFF 2011 SEASON PASS   After your fifth visit, you can now take 20% off on up to FOUR 2011 Season Pass purchases! This valuable reward is our way of saying THANK YOU for being a loyal Six Flags fan!

• Like 1