VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Welcome Past & Present Safari Team Members!

GAcoaster

Another name to bring up is Brian Vidor. He is Out in California and owns two resturaunts at Santa Monica airport.. I have not talked to him since 1977 when we opened a safari in Japan. I will see if I can contact him. I saw Patty Myers in north NJ back in the 80's or 90's. She was living in the same town where I worked. Have not seen her since. I'll try to come up with some more names if I can.

Dang Jake, Tom Hunt wanted me to go to Japan too for that park....instead I went to horseshoeing school...Ed Chiles just opened a new resturant in Fla I think? He is friends on facebook...do any of yall do facebook too? I know Donnie does but I can't ever get that boy online??:)

• 2 weeks later...

George Gray hired me at World of Animals..Donny Bale emailed me today and said Debbie Hull has joined this site? IF YA read this Debbie please update us on your life...? I saw Gail Murry a couple of years ago when she and Frank and their kids were showing near me..Had lunch with them and great visit. She is still Gail!!We need to get everyone on here one night plan a reunion up there soon!

to 29yrswithaGApass, i was wondering if you have a section that has safari members listed, not just wardens but gate guards and others that worked in the confines of the safari, it occured to me when dave barnes signed up that others could be members from the safari section but using screen names. i joined in my name just so past friends could find me easily, i'm pretty sure that's why gary joined in his name too. how about adding a safari members section if you don't already have one.

If any member who uses a "screen name" would like to change to their actual name, we would be happy to do that. Just let me know!

• Like 1

This seems to be the Safari Section Donnie...?:)

I forgot to mention, you guys can set up any new topics and add anything you would like to this area. Simply click START NEW TOPIC in the upper right and post away. There is no limit to the number of topics you can create- from employee topics, to safari park experiences, to almost anything. I encourage you guys to run with it and feel free to customize it any way you would like. In addition, if you would like we can set up a Safari specific photo album area for your pictures. The Safari is such an important part of Great Adventure's history and we are very fortunate to have so many Safari veterans with us!

If you need any assistance, let us know!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the Safari team's balloons at a pre-season pep rally in the '80s in the picture below. They say,

"SAFARI - THE RIDE THAT DOESN'T BREAK DOWN"!

gallery_2_579_628308.jpg

Safari never broke down or had to be closed, but alot of cars got pushed out when they overheated...:)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well it has now been 40yrs to the day that I set my feet on Great Adventure in 1974. Donald Bale and I had just drove from Florida where we had the day before we left Feb 3. We loaded the elephants from Winter Quarters in Venice , Fl on two train cars headed to the site of the Circus World Showcase site..we started working with the guys that were there from Jungle Habitiat and in just about a aweek or so and I was on a plane headed to Uganda to retrieve the Great Adventure elephants..

^ Happy Anniversary Gary! Where were the elephants off-loaded from the train? I would imagine they were then trucked to the park?

Here is a sneak preview of something we will be rolling out on this site for the park's 40th Anniversary. The links are not active yet - the pages are still being developed. We feel a park as unique as Great Adventure's Safari deserves a proper tribute and that is our goal. Hopefully you and all the Safari alumni will enjoy it and call it home for everything Safari related!

CLICK HERE TO TAKE A PEEK!

We loaded out in Venice, then to a sidetrack in Davenport . We walked the herd about 4 miles cant remember the distance but we did it in just a couple hours..if ya want to go to www.bucklesw.blogspot.com he poste pictures taken of us...just look back a couple days on his blog...:)

Never noticed this topic and was really interesting to read through! Also made me excited as recently I've applied and went through some steps to be a trainer and would say I'm about halfway, if not more through the process and if all works out i should be at camp adventure(or elsewhere) this upcoming season! Its nice to know these memories stick forever with people, thats what I'm looking forward to the most.

Edited by jdc12192

Never noticed this topic and was really interesting to read through! Also made me excited as recently I've applied and went through some steps to be a trainer and would say I'm about halfway, if not more through the process and if all works out i should be at camp adventure(or elsewhere) this upcoming season! Its nice to know these memories stick forever with people, thats what I'm looking forward to the most.

There are a lot of hidden gems in these here forums!

That's great news about being a trainer! Any desire to be a Safari Off-Road guide?

There are a lot of hidden gems in these here forums!

That's great news about being a trainer! Any desire to be a Safari Off-Road guide?

Its an option, i had to audition for trainer/guide anyway so its a possibility. Not to sure if id be up for a guide though just tbh. I don't think its really 'for me', however if it comes down to it, its not out of the picture and always an option. I think I'm in the clear for trainer though, having connections/relationships and being liked has its perks hahaha.

^Im open to whatever honestly. If I do get the job it will probably be the camp adventura animals(goats,pigs,birds, etc.) all the smaller animals. I'm not expecting sealions or the otters with myself having zero experience except being around those animals and watching others train for two years so I'd be really suprised if I'm offered a swim test and stuff.

Edited by jdc12192

So you want to be with the aquatic show then..

I would love it, i love those animals like they were my own, but am not expecting it. Im expecting camp adventure or possibly inside the park at the smaller animal show. I don't think i will be offered a swim test to work the aquatic show(due to lack of experience), if i do get offered i will be REALLY surprised. Im happy wherever i will be placed, weather it be small or big animals. Have to start somewhere!

Edited by jdc12192