VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Terminator: New coaster for SFMM in 2009

gafreak

It's funny because at first I was hearing that SFMM was getting a woodie (EK clone), but now the rumor is they may be getting the Dark Knight from SFNE instead.

We'll know more about what SFMM is getting soon, and probably get info on what's in store for GA next season soon as well.

I had seen the rumor of TDK going to MM also so there is a good chance that could be the rumor. I am already looking forward to hearing what is in store for our park next season, even though we are not in gear yet just because of how pleasant the park has been this year. I think the overall experience of TDK will be enjoyable wherever it goes so I guess now it's just the waiting game!

They would be smart to move it to Magic Mountain. They've already paid for the licensing, building, track, and design fees, it'd be a shame to let it all go to waste. This way, every part of the nation can experience the ride. One on the West Coast, one in the middle of the nation, and one on the East Coast. It always boggled my mind why they would put one in SFNE when they had GAdv not too far away.

• 4 months later...

Source: Los Angeles Times

Six Flags Magic Mountain to announce Terminator wooden coaster

Terminator-The-Coaster-Six-Flags-Magic-M

Six Flags Magic Mountain will officially unveil plans this week for Terminator: The Coaster, a $10-million wooden roller coaster scheduled open Memorial Day weekend 2009.

The 2,850-foot-long coaster with Millennium Flyer trains will include a 100-foot lift, five hills, six banked turns as well as visual and audio effects and a loading station fly-through. The three-minute start-to-finish ride reaches a top speed of 55 mph.

The Great Coasters International woodie will be built next to the Déjà Vu looping steel coaster and in the same location as Psyclone, a reviled wooden coaster mercifully removed from the Valencia amusement park in 2006.

— Brady MacDonald, Los Angeles Times staff writer

It looks very compact.

TERMINATOR®: THE COASTER to Debut in 2009

VALENCIA, Calif., Oct. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Six Flags Magic Mountain announced today the addition in 2009 of a new wooden roller coaster to its world renowned coaster collection. Developed by the same team that produced the new X2 experience, TERMINATOR®: THE COASTER will combine innovative thrill ride technology with the signature science fiction punch of the Terminator brand. The debut is scheduled to coincide with the release of the McG directed film Terminator Salvation™ next year, and will introduce fans to an entirely new universe inspired by the film's post apocalyptic setting.

To view the Multimedia News Release, go to: http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/sixflags/35226/

"Our mission at Six Flags Magic Mountain is to provide entertainment that appeals to a wide range of tastes and this specially designed wooden coaster will be a proven winner among guests of all ages," said Jay Thomas, Six Flags Magic Mountain's Park President. "Designed around the theme of the successful Terminator movie brand, this ride will draw thrill seekers from around the world."

Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek, co-CEO's of The Halcyon Company, credit Six Flags with taking the ride to the next level in adventure. "The combination of the universe created by the film and the setting of this ride will provide fans with an adventure that keeps the spirit of the story," said Kubicek and Anderson jointly.

The $10 million coaster, engineered exclusively for the Valencia theme park by Great Coasters International Inc. (GCII), TERMINATOR®: THE COASTER will feature a loading station "fly-thru," a state-of-the-art sight and sound package, and unique queue line and on-board entertainment elements. The GCII-designed Millennium Flyer coaster trains will zip through five belly-flopping hills and six high speed banked turns over 2,850 feet of track to create a ride that delivers the acrobatic thrills of a modern roller coaster while retaining the nostalgic look and feel of a classic "woodie."

The Terminator franchise is a highly-successful series of science fiction films centered around battles between Skynet's artificially intelligent machine network and John Connor's Tech-Com forces and the rest of the human race. Since the debut of the first film in 1984, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and written and directed by Academy Award winner James Cameron, the Terminator films have grossed over one billion dollars worldwide. Terminator Salvation™ is the upcoming fourth installment to the series and is scheduled for a spring 2009 theatrical release. The Halcyon Company owns all rights to the entire Terminator franchise. As producers, Kubicek and Anderson recently wrapped production on the film, starring Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Moon Bloodgood, Bryce Dallas Howard and Helena Bonham Carter.

TERMINATOR®: THE COASTER will be located in the northwest corner of the park, next to Dejà Vu and is slated for a spring 2009 opening. With the addition of TERMINATOR®: THE COASTER, Six Flags Magic Mountain will be home to 16 world class coasters.

Six Flags Magic Mountain continues its commitment to provide better entertainment, better service and better value to all of its guests. Beginning November 1, 2008 thrill seekers can buy the best value-priced entertainment package Six Flags has ever offered. For the price of single day general admission, just $59.99, guests can purchase a 2009 Play Pass and enjoy unlimited visits to America's top thrill park until the end of the 2009 season. A Six Flags Play Pass is also good for unlimited free concerts and all special events. Additionally, the Six Flags Play Pass can be used at all Six Flags theme parks across the country and comes with a Bonus Book with value-added Six Flags offers including FREE friend admissions, a FREE Hurricane Harbor admission ticket and discounts on food and merchandise. Play Passes can be purchased online at sixflags.com, over the phone, by mail or at the park.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is located at 26101 Magic Mountain Parkway in Valencia, a short drive north of Los Angeles off Interstate 5 at the Magic Mountain Parkway exit. Magic Mountain is open weekends and school holidays. For additional information, current operating days and hours, and to purchase a ticket, visit us on the internet at sixflags.com or call (661) 255-4111. Save time and buy your tickets online for just $29.99 at sixflags.com.

ABOUT SIX FLAGS INC.

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company with 20 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Founded in 1961, Six Flags has provided world class entertainment for millions of families with cutting-edge, record-shattering roller coasters and appointment programming and special events such as the weekly Summer Concert Series, Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park. Now 47 years strong, Six Flags is recognized as the preeminent thrill innovator while reaching to all demographics -- families, teens, tweens and thrill seekers alike -- with themed attractions based on the Looney Tunes characters, the Justice League of America, skateboarding legend Tony Hawk, The Wiggles, and Thomas the Tank Engine. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation (NYSE: SIX) headquartered in New York City.

SIX FLAGS and all related indicia are trademarks of Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. ®, TM and © 2009.

ABOUT THE HALCYON COMPANY

The Halcyon Company is a privately financed, media development, production and financing company, headed by co-CEOs Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek. The company is designed to create, acquire, manage, publish and maintain the creative integrity of each and every project delivered by The Halcyon Company across traditional and non-traditional channels of distribution. In May 2007, Halcyon acquired all of the rights in relationship to the Terminator franchise. These rights include the right to produce any future Terminator films, as well as all future merchandising and licensing rights, certain future revenues derived from Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, as well as certain rights in the television project The Sarah Connor Chronicles and the sole right to produce all future Terminator projects in any new or existing media. In 2009, Warner Bros. will distribute the highly anticipated re-launch of the franchise, Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, in North America, with Sony doing the international distribution. Halcyon recently secured the highly coveted first-look rights to the works of science fiction and cyber-punk writer Philip K. Dick. Through this unprecedented agreement, Halcyon will have the first option to develop in conjunction with Electric Shepherd for film adaptations, as well as television and other media projects, based on Dick's vast body of works.

SOURCE Six Flags Inc.

• 2 months later...
It looks like it could be a pretty good ride. I do, however, agree that the theming is a little strange. I've never been to that park and do not know what the themeing is, if there is any. It appears to have the usual Six Flags "Random" theming.

Last time I was there which was the early 2000s, they had a Gothem themed section, a Japanese themed section, and a Western/Southwestern themed area. I think they also had a fair themed area that had a mis-match of other stuff added in over the years.

• 2 months later...

From the LATimes:

Movie stars add backstory to Terminator coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Riders queuing up to board the new Terminator Salvation wooden roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain this summer will get survival instructions from two of the movie’s stars: rapper/actor Common and model/actress Moon Bloodgood.

Currently under construction, the $10-million coaster will feature an additional $1 million in theming to tie in with the ride’s “Terminator Salvation” movie storyline.

While waiting in the queue, riders will be encouraged via video clips featuring Common and Bloodgood to “join the resistance” and help fight the Terminator robots.

Common, who plays a soldier named Barnes in the movie, and Bloodgood, who portrays pilot Blair Williams, will explain the key points of the movie’s plot while laying out the ride’s back story.

During the “training session,” riders are warned that the “machines are coming” and to “go to the safe house” to await further instructions.

The “safe house” in this case will be the coaster loading station, which will be filled with movie props and memorabilia including Terminator robots. Once riders complete their training, they become “resistance fighters” and board the roller coaster.

Premiering in May, “Terminator Salvation” stars Christian Bale, Common and Bloodgood in the fourth installment of the science-fiction postapocalyptic film franchise, directed this time by McG.

A Grammy-winning hip-hop rapper, Common has starred in “Smokin’ Aces,” “American Gangster” and “Wanted.” A former Laker Girl and Maxim magazine Hot 100 model, Bloodgood appeared in the movie “Street Fighter” and on the TV shows “Day Break” and “Journeyman.”

Scheduled to open Memorial Day weekend, the Great Coasters International woodie will be built next to the Déjà Vu looping steel coaster and in the same location as Psyclone, a reviled wooden coaster mercifully removed from the Valencia amusement park in 2006.

• 1 month later...

From Sci-Fi Wire.com:

Terminator cast shot footage for movie-themed ride at Six Flags

TerminatorSalvation_SixFlagsRide-thumb-4

Moon Bloodgood, who plays Blair Williams in Terminator Salvation, and co-star Common filmed safety warnings in character for the movie-themed roller coaster at the Six Flags Magic Mountain theme park in Southern California, she told reporters last week.

"It's one of those, without being cheesy, like, 'Buckle up. Don't put your arms out the windows,'" Bloodgood said in a group interview a week ago in Beverly Hills, Calif. "I have an M-16, and I'm telling the Hunter Killer, 'Get away from that!' I don't know. I hope it works all together. I'm like, 'Barnes are you there? Over? Are you there?' Then we're like, 'Have a Coke and hot dog after you leave.'"

Bloodgood and Common shot the pre-ride footage at Six Flags Magic Mountain in April.

Common, who plays Barnes in the film and the ride, had trouble performing his pre-ride segments. "That day was difficult for me shooting because I didn't really learn the script as well as I should have," Common admitted. "I was there that day just trying to learn my lines. I said it's probably some of the worst acting I've ever done."

To shoot the ride videos, the actors had to hold their own cameras, taking on the job of Terminator Salvation cinematographer Shane Hurlburt (the man famously screamed at by star Christian Bale). "We had to hold the camera, though, so we had to act and then be getting Shane's angle," Bloodgood said. "I was like, 'That's three jobs I've got to do right now.' I think it'll be cool."

In addition to covering the safety basics, Common had movie story to advance. "It was a lot of Terminator jargon to learn, and a lot of pages, too," he said. "I'm excited that they have a ride, because I know it's something that'll be there forever. People will be going on that ride and they'll see us in the line.

Terminator Salvation opens May 21. The ride opens May 23.