VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Shockwave - UPDATED with hundreds of "new" photos!

29yrswithaGApass

Did Shockwave really only have two trains? I was watching a POV of it (at Astroworld) on TPR's Coasters In the Raw, and it really looked like there was three.

I screen captured the part. It looks to have one in the station, one that the camera man is on, and one on the transfer.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Edit: Here's a slightly better one. http://www.flickr.com/photos/79973644@N03/7331540276/in/photostream/

It had three, and the Shockwave had three trains when it was at Great Adventure too!

With the ride so much shorter than Green Lantern, was there a lot of stacking with 3 trains? Maybe it wasn't as bad though since there were less rows per train and no seatbelts.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't remember much about Shock Wave but I kind or remember thinking it was kind of slow but I think I enjoyed it. It seems that I'm one of the few that enjoy Green Lantern. Oh, I don't have the same "this is kind of slow" thoughts about Green Lantern.

Shockwave was small compared to GL. For its time, it seemed huge. I remember the commercial for it with everyone wearing the same black sunglasses.

Shockwave was small compared to GL. For its time, it seemed huge. I remember the commercial for it with everyone wearing the same black sunglasses.

Are you sure you're not thinking about KD's Shockwave commercial?That one had people in military-style jumpsuits and dark sunglasses being strapped in a stand-up coaster.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Shockwave - UPDATED with hundreds of "new" photos!

What an incredibly thorough spotlight and update.  I never rode Shockwave at Great Adventure, but did get to ride it at Magic Mountain.  The novelty of standup coasters, for me, is probably their strongest asset.  Personally, I find standups to be uncomfortable and noticeably slower than their counterparts with seats.  Still a great ride, especially as a part of the ride rotation program.  

Interesting note regarding Ray Williams, who appears in a number of the photos.  After leaving Great Adventure, he briefly went to Six Flags' corporate office in Piscataway, directly under Larry Cochran.  After leaving Six Flags, he briefly went to work for Arrow Dynamics.  He was among the earliest of the Six Flags park Vice Presidents/General Managers, going all the way back to the company's ownership under the Great Southwest Corporation.

Edited by Daved Thomson
  • Like 1

Thanks. It is mind boggling that the original spotlight was over 15 years old!   It is also unbelievable that we have been building this site for 15+ years.  

We still have tons of new stuff to share and just as much to update and enhance.  Plenty of great things ahead!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Thanks. It is mind boggling that the original spotlight was over 15 years old!   It is also unbelievable that we have been building this site for 15+ years.  

We still have tons of new stuff to share and just as much to update and enhance.  Plenty of great things ahead!

I have to say this site has the most detailed history of any amusement park I've seen, it's easy to navigate and find the history on almost anything the park has had, it's more in depth than any site about Disney parks. So, I really appreciate the dedication that went into building this site. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What I've found interesting about Shockwave was that it was in a roundabout way .... a B&M Coaster. Well .... Walter Bolliger & Claude Mabillard did design it; Giovanola built it and Intamin installed it. Which does lead to a great "what if" .... what if Walter & Claude stayed with Giovanola or went to work directly for Intamin?

Anyhow, from looking at where Shockwave was relative to the current Great Adventure layout; the queue line went roughly where Dare Devil Dive is to where the entrance is for the Go Karts?