VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Cedar Fair Additions for 2021

Medusa42

This is the place to discuss 2021 news, rumors, and predictions for all Cedar Fair parks.

Rules:

1) Feel free to post 2021 park predictions, but please do not post five year or multi-year park plan predictions.

Parks:

California's Great America:

Canada's Wonderland:

Carowinds:

Cedar Point:

Dorney Park:

Kings Dominion:

Kings Island:

Knott's Berry Farm:

Michigan's Adventure:

Valleyfair:

Worlds of Fun:

Water Parks:

Cedar Point Shores:

Knott's Soak City:

Schlitterbahn Galveston:

Schlitterbahn New Braunfels:

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, Medusa42 said:

Kings Dominion appears to be getting a small B&M Wing coaster for 2021.

https://kdfans.com/2019/wing-coaster-leak/

At first I was underwhelmed, this layout made X-Flight look like a long ride. But then I looked at the aerial of X-Flight and compared it. They look relatively similar in length, but X-Flight is about 20 feet taller. I hope that KD brings back the loop, and final helix, to "complete" the layout. As it stands, it's just a drop (counts as an inversion) and then four back-to-back inversions with a single helix included.

image.thumb.png.0c31524e86cfec3bb4e84813dbc3096b.png.b4f3f5ad127ea289c70cd84a4527fcb0.png

CoasterLayout

Edited by Gyrotron
Rotated satellite image clockwise.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New coaster for Dorney Park!!
https://southwhitehall.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2020.03.30-CD-PLANNING-PC-Public-Notice-EPP-16Apr20-1.pdf

DORNEY PARK ATTRACTION
MAJOR PLAN 2020-102
REQUEST FOR PRELIMINARY/FINAL PLAN REVIEW
An application to further develop the property located at 3830 Dorney Park Road. The plan proposes to remove an existing attraction, construct a new attraction, associated walkways and access drives, and relocate a portion of the existing Zephyr train ride. The new attraction will be approximately 106 feet tall (419.5 feet above MSL). The project proposes a net reduction of impervious surface. The property is zoned CR Commercial Recreation. Dorney Park LLC is the owner and applicant.

Site Plan: https://southwhitehall.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Dorney-Park-Attraction-Master-Site-Development-Plan-Sheet.pdf

This appears to be a bigger version of Switchback at ZDT's.

Edited by Medusa42
  • Like 1

I'm glad to see a new coaster, but at the same time am a little disappointed to see it replacing an existing coaster after already losing Stinger a few years ago.

On the other hand, I can understand why they would remove Possessed. Besides the high operating costs of the launches, the coaster has never been reliable. It seems like the coaster has at least some downtime on most of my trips to the park.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cedar Fair has started to announce opening days for their parks for this year and for some parks it is much later than usual.

May 14 Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point, Kings Island

May 22 California's Great America, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Valleyfair

I hope Wildwater Kingdom opens this year and that they have daily operations rather than just Thursday - Sunday.

Edit, I got an e-mail from Dorney

Save the date! We are excited to announce Dorney Park's 2021 Opening Day – May 22 – and we look forward to welcoming you back for what is sure to be an AMAZING season.

To ensure you and your family enjoy the park safely, several operational changes will be in effect upon our reopening. To learn about enhanced health and safety measures, please visit the Welcoming You Back section of our website which provides essential information for pre-arrival planning, what you'll see when you arrive, and how to make the most of your visit while in the park.

Stay tuned for additional park news and frequent updates in the months to come. Your countdown to FUN starts now!

https://www.dorneypark.com/what-to-expect-when-we-reopen

For parks like Wonderland, Cedar Point (where I'll be working this summer), and Dorney who don't normally open till May anyway-it's not that bad. Carowinds and WoF usually open for Easter, Kings Island and Kings Dominion just after.

Also with Busch Gardens open right now within the vicinity of Kings Dominion is huge blow. excluding Ohio (where they own both major parks), the competition is going to be Open from Easter Break (so 4-6 weeks ahead)

• 1 month later...

Dorney released their 2021 operating calendar and all I can say is I'm glad Great Adventure and Hersheypark aren't run like Cedar Fair.

https://www.dorneypark.com/explore/calendar-and-hours

They are closed every Tuesday, they aren't even open during the week except Memorial Day until the middle of June and even that is only Wednesday - Sunday and almost every day of the season is a  7 pm close with the waterpark never open past 6 pm.

• Like 1

There were rumors of a Gravity Group shuttle coaster.

I know it would be a good fit for the park with nothing like it in the area but I hope their next coaster is something else because I really can’t handle coasters that go backwards with inversions anymore. Also because I would like to see something greater after so long without a new coaster.

The coaster was already approved by the Lehigh Valley Planning Commission.  They still have to get final approval from South Whitehall Township, so there should be a planning commission meeting if the project is reactivated.

At year-end, we were current on our payables for all active capital projects, and we had no material long-term commitments for new attractions. With nearly half of our parks unable to fully operate last year, many new rides and attractions planned for the 2020 season have yet to be introduced to our guests. Being in that position provides us maximum flexibility to tailor our 2021 and 2022 capital programs based on the speed of the recovery and our outlook around liquidity.

Therefore, our 2021 capital investment strategy is to focus resources on items of necessity, including essential compliance and infrastructure needs, and reactivating select projects left unfinished from 2020 that are critical to this year's park operations. Beyond this base level investment, which we estimate to be in the $30 million to $35 million range, we will continue to assess the speed of the market's recovery, and we will activate additional projects as conditions warrant. Applied conservatively, this approach should result in our 2021 capital expenditures totaling well inside the amounts we have invested in recent years. As we reopen parks and get back to our normal operations, we will be in a better position to make decisions on what our capital investments over the second half of 2021 will look like, as well as our outlook and timing for returning yearly capital investments back to our targeted investment range of 9% to 10% of revenues.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2021/02/17/cedar-fair-fun-q4-2020-earnings-call-transcript/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...