VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure Where Are They Now?

GAcoaster

Where are they now?

Six Flags has a habit of moving rides from park to park and a few of Great Adventure's rides live on in new locations.

The Rodeo Stampede was a Huss Breakdance ride with cow shaped cars which was added to the park in 1999 as part of the "War on Lines". After the 2005 season it went south to Six Flags Over Texas to make way for El Toro. Check out a video of Rodeo Stampede (now just Rodeo) at SFOT below.

One of the favorite rides from Kiddie Kingdom/Shirt Tales Land/Looney Toons Land/Bugs Bunny Land was the Red Baron plane ride, last known as the Bugs Bunny Barnstormer from 1988-2004. Our plane ride was sent to The Great Escape for the 2005 season where it now operates as Rocky's Ranger Planes.

http://greatadventurehistory.com/RedBaron.htm

For 2006 Great Adventure got a replacement set of planes from Six Flags Astroworld which was closed in 2005. The planes are nearly identical to the planes GA sent away and were added as part of Bugs Bunny National Park as the Bugs Bunny Ranger Pilots.

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/RangerPilots.htm

Here's the link to the ride at The Great Escape: https://www.sixflags.com/greatescape/attractions/rockys-ranger-planes?fbclid=IwAR0h94R6GcTsrPejRLdR_pQFaKc-crNz8ms6-d9her0nSRd-xDraCTNsHx4

95699357_10157781340329160_5720365902436

For the 1984 season the Sarajevo Bobsled came to Great Adventure to coincide with the 1984 Olympic Winter Games in Sarajevo. The ride ran for five seasons at Great Adventure before it was removed to make way for the Great American Scream Machine.

The ride moved on to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois where it was rebuilt as Rolling Thunder (they stole our ride and our name!), and was modified with larger sleds with more conventional seating. It ran there from 1989-1995, then moved again.

The Bobsled now resides at Six Flags Great Escape in Lake George, New York where it continues to delight guests (periodically) as the Alpine Bobsled! Check out the video of the Bobsled in its current home in the comments below!

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Sarajevo%20Bobsled.htm

I was able to take my daughters for a ride on the Alpine Bobsled last August. It was the only ride we went on that had a line. We waited an hour just so they could get on a ride I went on when I was around their age.

I attached a couple of pictures of Bobsled

Alpine Bobsled Entrance.jpg

Alpine Bobsled Tube.jpg

Alpine Bonsled Break.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 5:48 PM, GAcoaster said:

Where are they now?

Six Flags has a habit of moving rides from park to park and a few of Great Adventure's rides live on in new locations.

The Rodeo Stampede was a Huss Breakdance ride with cow shaped cars which was added to the park in 1999 as part of the "War on Lines". After the 2005 season it went south to Six Flags Over Texas to make way for El Toro. Check out a video of Rodeo Stampede (now just Rodeo) at SFOT below.

I realize we're talking different manufacturers, but is this a cleverly disguised Calypso with lower capacity?

For the 1988 season Great Adventure opened the Condor, a brand new Huss attraction, one of three built in 1988 (Morey's Piers got one of the others). The Condor took over the spot that had been occupied by Calypso for many years, offering a similar ride, but taking it to new heights. Condor only lasted three seasons, taking flight to Six Flags Great America where it still operates today.

I expect Condor to be replaced in the next few years by a Wonder Woman themed Giga Discovery.  The ride is no longer supported by the manufacturer, but the park has kept it going with outside parts.  I could see Great America relocating it within the park like they did with The Lobster.

Edited by Medusa42

Like so many of the rides added in 1999 as part of the "War on Lines", Evolution was added to Great Adventure, rarely operated, and then after just a few short years went away. The ride had issues that needed costly modifications, and after just four seasons it was removed and went west to Six Flags St. Louis.

http://greatadventurehistory.com/Evolution.htm

Today it's known as Xcalibur, and it got an impressive makeover as part of its relocation though it seems to still be suffering the same kind of downtime it did when it was at Great Adventure.

Check out the video of Xcalibur in action below:

Another of the twenty five rides added to Great Adventure for the 1999 season as part of the "War on Lines" was the Pendulum, a Huss Frisbee ride. The Pendulum was built behind the Autobahn bumper cars, very much hidden from view unless it was operating (which was seldom due to lack of staffing). After just five seasons the Pendulum was packed up and headed (as so many of Great Adventure's attractions do) to Six Flags Great America.

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Pendulum.htm

Great America opened it with a patriotic theme for the 2004 season as the Revolution.

A recent and short lived addition to Great Adventure was El Diablo. El Diablo was a Larson Giant Loop ride commonly found at fairs, and was added to the park for the 2015 season. The ride was controversial (it's not a roller coaster!), and only lasted until the end of the 2018 season.

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/ElDiablo.htm

At the end of the season the ride was packed up and went north of the border to La Ronde where it became their new attraction for the 2019 season as Choas.

chaos_2.jpg?itok=iLUn1Vuz

Six Flags has a habit of moving rides from park to park and a few of Great Adventure's rides live on in new locations, sometimes where they went to die...

For the 1990 season Great Adventure got the Shockwave as a hand me down coaster as part of the Six Flags "ride rotation" program. The Shockwave came to us from Magic Mountain, spent just three seasons at the park before being shipped off again to Six Flags Astroworld where it ran until the park closed permanently in 2005. From there it was packed up again, this time moving to Six Flags Darrien Lake, but the coaster was never reassembled and was finally scrapped a few years later.

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/shockwave.htm

96672186_10157807552704160_3073803056027

At Six Flags Magic Mountain as Shockwave:

96737878_10157807597314160_5541333480647

At Astroworld as Batman: The Escape:

96681613_10157807600519160_6915264746652

At Darien Lake in pieces:

96828034_10157807601969160_2638758731919

On 5/10/2020 at 10:45 AM, Medusa42 said:

That is the first time I have noticed the front and back pieces of the train on Chaos are missing.

Maybe the park doesn't need the capacity or maybe there was some other problem it had at GA the park didn't want to deal with because no one rode it and that's why it got shipped North.

2 hours ago, Pineracer said:

Maybe the park doesn't need the capacity or maybe there was some other problem it had at GA the park didn't want to deal with because no one rode it and that's why it got shipped North.

Oh, Oh, 🙋‍♂️ I rode it. Every time I went to the park. I may not be a true barometer since I rode everything except the kiddie rides when I went tot the park back then

Six Flags has a habit of moving rides from park to park and a few of Great Adventure's rides live on in new locations. Today's rides got sold off to parks that weren't part of Six Flags but ended up becoming part of Six Flags, then one of them not part of Six Flags, and (for the moment at least) part of Six Flags again.

When Six Flags acquired Great Adventure the first major investment they made was Lightnin' Loops, a pair of interlocking Arrow Shuttle Loop coasters. The ride was a HUGE sensation, giving the local market its first chance to ride a looping roller coaster. Over the years the novelty wore off as bigger, better, full-circuit looping roller coasters were introduced.

Great Adventure removed Lightnin' Loops in 1992 to make way for Batman: The Ride. At one point the plan was to relocated one of the two loops to the plot of land vacated by Ultra Twister, so Rolling Thunder and Lightnin' Loop would be next to each other while the second loop was sold off, but that fell through and both rides were sold to Premier Parks who installed them in parks they owned.

The "upper" loop made its way to Wild World, (later Adventure World), a small park just outside of Washington DC. The ride opened as Python in 1993. Python ran there until 1998 when it was retired from service to make way for future development as the park transformed into Six Flags America in 1999.

The "lower" loop went further south to Frontier City in Oklahoma where it opened in 1993 as Diamond Back and continues to run today. Frontier City was owned by Premier Parks, which went on to purchase Six Flags from Time Warner in 1998. After financial problems in 2004, the park was sold off, but in 2018 Six Flags took over the lease on Frontier City and is running the park again.

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/LightninLoops.htm

96780730_10157811209669160_7635277548099

Python while it was at Wild World/Adventure World (now Six Flags America):

97204548_10157811295809160_6740010096492

Diamond Back at Frontier City:

96828529_10157811297194160_1738427681373

• Like 1

Six Flags has a habit of moving rides from park to park and a few of Great Adventure's rides live on in new locations. Today's story is "Take a Scrambler, leave a Scrambler".

Great Adventure installed it's first Scrambler ride in 1978 as part of the Fun Fair area of the park. Scrambler ended up being relocated a couple of times before it was removed to be relocated (again) in the park in 2001, but was never reassembled. The Scrambler was then packed up and sent to Six Flags Over Georgia in 2004 where it was placed inside their Cinema 180 building as "Shake Rattle & Roll", where it ran with lights and music until the building was demolished as part of redevelopment in 2010.

Scramblers are common rides found in many parks around the country and it was sorely missed at Great Adventure so in 2012 when the park went retro with "Adventure Alley" bringing back some classic rides, it really was Deja Vu with a Scrambler ride coming back to the park. Deja Vu came from Six Flags Over Georgia, but from the defunct family entertainment center attached to Six Flags White Water.

1 minute ago, GAcoaster said:

I don't know. I'd guess it could be ours making a return from the boneyard.

We've been talking about El Sombero's being a ride that was thrown in the boneyard and coming back recently so It's a good question