VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2022 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

I HATE the ads on the rides, but if it comes down to ads on the ride or lose the ride because they don't have the money to maintain it, I'll take the ads! With Runaway Mine Train especially it's an old ride and has required some major work over the past few years. I can live with the wrap if it means it's safe from removal for another year. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an idea on how much Dr. Diabolical’s Cliffhanger costed? I saw that Zadra costed only about 14 million USD (if the source I saw was correct). A dive coaster or a ground up hybrid would both be excellent fits for Great Adventure.

Where do you guys think the next major coaster would be placed in the park?

^ I believe that Zadra number is correct because it was paid for with EU funds and the costs had to be made public during the bidding process.  Keep in mind that labor costs are much cheaper in Poland and that tends to bring the overall cost down.  It was announced that a smaller RMC, ArieForce One. will cost $13 Million USD to build this year.

Not sure how much Dr. Diabolical's Cliffhanger costs, but one of the goals was to save money on steel by using standard sized B&M track instead of the bigger track that is normally on Dive coasters.  B&M also did a complete overhaul on the trains so they can move around tighter turns.  I would not be surprised if Six Flags did a package deal with B&M.  There are already rumblings of SFGAm getting a B&M in 2023 and SFMM in 2024.

If you follow the Photo Trip Reports, it appears that the Northern Star Arena could be on the way out.  It looks like there is a lot of land behind the arena that could be used for a coaster.

https://www.greatadventurehistory.com/GATrips_Spring_2022_05_12.htm

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, GAcoaster said:

I HATE the ads on the rides, but if it comes down to ads on the ride or lose the ride because they don't have the money to maintain it, I'll take the ads! With Runaway Mine Train especially it's an old ride and has required some major work over the past few years. I can live with the wrap if it means it's safe from removal for another year. 

The idea that it's a choice between ads on rides or removing them is a little ridiculous. I would rather they raise admission prices and not shove advertisements in my face all day. That's the whole point of a theme park; to get away from that for a day, to forget about the outside world and be transported to a fantasy world. No one's fantasy is being bombarded by advertisements. 

• Like 2

They're raising prices on admission-- the problem is the Six Flags business model is squeeze out more money and cut costs. It really DOES come down to an ad or no ride to them. Years ago I remember the ad sales department sold ad space on rides to "Tornados" spicy chips and sold advertising on the park's swing ride (not realizing the park had removed it years before). They found the next closest ride which was the Super Roundup (which was actually slated for removal as well), so it got painted and renamed with the sponsorship deal and it was spared. 

2011_04_09_IMG_0283%20copy.jpg

I have little doubt that M&Ms sponsorship is probably the main reason why the Skyride has not been removed (yet) when every other Six Flags park has removed theirs. There sometimes is a direct correlation between sponsorship and rides being kept (or at least maintained better). 

The Runaway Mine Train is one of the oldest rides in the park and has needed extensive work the past few years. Most likely sponsorship has helped pay for that needed work and kept the ride open. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So yeah...judging by El Toro's woes in the last couple of years, what are the odds of the ride getting a Topper Track redo.

Not a full New Texas Giant/Steel Vengeance rebuild. Just replacing the Intamin Pre-fab track with Topper Track, while keeping the same layout.

Edited by MarioSonic94

57 minutes ago, MarioSonic94 said:

So yeah...judging by El Toro's woes in the last couple of years, what are the odds of the ride getting a Topper Track redo.

Not a full New Texas Giant/Steel Vengeance rebuild. Just replacing the Intamin Pre-fab track with Topper Track, while keeping the same layout.

We haven't been passholders or visited GA since pre-pandemic. What exactly are the issues with El Toro?

3 hours ago, rj1972 said:

We haven't been passholders or visited GA since pre-pandemic. What exactly are the issues with El Toro?

El Toro recently had an accident where 14 people had minor injuries.

Then there was the derailment that happened last year.

Edited by MarioSonic94

16 hours ago, MarioSonic94 said:

RMC no longer offers Topper Track, they could do what you are suggesting with the steel 208 Retrak product.

https://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/wood-coaster-refurbishment/

Other options are GCI Titan Track (steel) and Gravity Group has a laser cut wood product.

None of these options will fix the issue if Six Flags continues to allow the structure to fall into disrepair.

• Like 1

I'd lean towards just RMCing El Toro at this point. Either Intamin's prefab track is not holding up or was poorly designed, but either way it seems like it's nearing the end of its life already... 

It sounds like Colossus, El Toro's 4 year older sibling, had similar issues and had to be retracked. I just don't see them spending money on retracking to make it exactly as it was rather than retracking to make it something new and potentially better. Having been on Iron Gwazi I've been won over with the RMC conversion process. I can only imagine what they could do to El Toro. Plus it seems to be cheap(ish) to do the RMC conversion which is why they've done so many.   

6 hours ago, Gyrotron said:

I heard a rumor that Great Adventure was going to get something absolutely massive by 2024 (something unheard of for Six Flags). But apparently, as of now that rumor is no more due to the recent changes in business model.

For context, it is pretty obvious from the post history that the person spreading that rumor on /r/sixflags is a former user of this site that was banned for annoying everyone.

https://old.reddit.com/user/sixflagsmania2

11 hours ago, Medusa42 said:

For context, it is pretty obvious from the post history that the person spreading that rumor on /r/sixflags is a former user of this site that was banned for annoying everyone.

https://old.reddit.com/user/sixflagsmania2

Oh wow, so the giga coaster thing wasn't true at all? I saw it commented by some popular Youtube channels, I didn't even see these posts on reddit.

^Yeah, there's no way a post-Premier Parks Six Flags was ever gonna invest in a hyper coaster (that isn't an RMC redo), let alone a giga.

Then again, if this rumor was somehow true, GADV really missed out on a potentially amazing 50th anniversary season. 

What of the future of the Northern Star Arena and/or the Safari Off Road Adventure?

For the first, if it isn't going to be used for concerts or other events (anyone recall the last time it was actually used?); I say demolish the sucker and put up a wing coaster.

For the latter, now that the Safari is back as a drive thru again; well .... I'm not sure on this one. Maybe they use it for busy days/private events and such (because the drive thru is only open 10-4)

18 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Yes, they leveled the old stables from 1974 when they use to have the rodeo and chariot races in the Great Arena.  A spotlight on the building will be coming soon.   

I had no idea those were old stables; I had thought it was just spare storage.

Be cool to read/see the spotlight.

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd make a post about this since nothing has been posted to this thread in over a month. First, Six Flags CEO Selim Bassoul said in a very recent Six Flags Q3 earnings conference call:

statement-from-six-flags-ceo-selim-basso

So it's looking like coasters will be added over time, we just don't know when or where. It's safe to say that next year will probably be focused on park improvements (as it should) but perhaps there's a chance a coaster is added to GAdv for its 50th anniversary?

An enthusiast had the chance to interview Selim at GAdv and the whole interview is on YouTube and can be found here. The interview itself is what you'd expect from any interview with a CEO of a large company, but the interviewer brings up GAdvs 50th anniversary, two which Selim replies "It will be big. I promise it will be big". It's incredibly vague and could mean anything, but it's something interesting to think about. 

15 hours ago, Gyrotron said:

What do you guys think of the TrailRunner family coaster by Skyline? If Six Flags is actively working with them I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these show up.

It looks like a modern mine train coaster.  I don't think this would be ready for Memorial Day weekend 2023, maybe 2024.  I am guessing Six Flags purchased a bunch of rides at IAAPA that can be installed quickly as they scramble to change course.  On the last earnings call, the CFO said that the beautification capex has been reverted over to attractions and rides.