VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags eliminating 15 underperforming rides this year

Medusa42

From today's earnings call:

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/10/28/six-flags-entertainment-corp-six-q3-2020-earnings/

In addition, optimizing our rides will save us enough capex to fund a new ride every single year. Our park Presidents, engineers and maintenance teams have studied the performance of each and every ride, calculating the cost against the ride's throughput productivity. We now know which rides to redeploy across parks, which rides need to be refurbished, and which can be removed entirely. We are eliminating 15 underperforming rides this year, reducing maintenance costs, and freeing up significant capex resources.

Which ride or rides might be removed from Great Adventure this year?

I think the high maintenance leaders are:

KIngda Ka

Log Flume

Underutilized:

Jolly Roger

Tango

Bizarro (I can see this rotating to another park)

Aged:

Parachutes

Sky Ride

Also, being able to gather revenue on this one once again puts it at risk:

Safari Off Road Adventure

I'd be most upset to see the removal of the Log Flume, Sky Ride, or Parachutes.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I think the high maintenance leaders are:

KIngda Ka

Log Flume

Underutilized:

Jolly Roger

Tango

Bizarro (I can see this rotating to another park)

Aged:

Parachutes

Sky Ride

Also, being able to gather revenue on this one once again puts it at risk:

Safari Off Road Adventure

I'd be most upset to see the removal of the Log Flume, Sky Ride, or Parachutes.  

I hope they don’t remove Bizarro or Ka, as those are easily some of the best rides in the park, and I’d assume they’d have decent ridership. I could see Twister or Jolly Roger leaving for low ridership, and twister because of cyborg. 

Magic Mountain: pretty sure Tidal Wave is being removed to make room for the RMC Raptor

Great America: Buccaneer Battle, Hometown Fun Machine, Yankee Clipper flume, or Vertical Velocity(possible relocation)

New England: Goliath

Discovery Kingdom: Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster, Tasmanian Devil

St Louis: Superman: Tower of Power

For Great Adventure: 

My top choice is Twister, second would be making the Safari a third gate again.

I think Golden Kingdom has a few years left. However, based off the removal of Volcano when it probably had a longer service life, it might end up being closer to 2025 than 2030 (but by then for sure).

A part of me wants to remove El Toro, but a part of me wants to expand the area with a Day of the Dead Dark Ride and a Zamerla Endevour called El Sombero. 

Agreed for SFNE #1 to me would be Goliath.

Second

• Possibly Flashback or a relocation of Gauntlet.

Others

• Crime Wave - Been down a lot
  • Tomahawk
  • Depending on maintenance / operation costs Blizzard River.

For TGE

• Condor
  • Bobsled
  • Flying Trapeze
Edited by Sluggo77

6 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Is Goliath down a lot or just not popular?  I always enjoyed that model ride. I’ve never been on the ride at SFNE but did ride it at SFGAm and SFOG.  

It seems to be down a lot and even when running it’s very temperamental. Doesn’t like cool weather and the new trains can severely jackhammer unfortunately. If it didn’t have the issues and ran smoother I’d love it but it’s more lawn ornament than ride now.  Prime space for a better running attraction in the future. Between it and Flashback’s space I could see something like Maxx Force giving SFNE a launch coaster. 

11 hours ago, Pineracer said:

For Great Adventure: 

My top choice is Twister, second would be making the Safari a third gate again.

I think Golden Kingdom has a few years left. However, based off the removal of Volcano when it probably had a longer service life, it might end up being closer to 2025 than 2030 (but by then for sure).

A part of me wants to remove El Toro, but a part of me wants to expand the area with a Day of the Dead Dark Ride and a Zamerla Endevour called El Sombero. 

Why would you remove El Toro? It's typically a rated as a top 5 coaster in the world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coastercouple said:

Why would you remove El Toro? It's typically a rated as a top 5 coaster in the world.

I personally find the ride very rough, but I feel its removal would constitute a new theme for the area-which I want more than Ka/Zu or El Toro's removal right now. That's why if I made a bet, I would put my money on Twister.

2 hours ago, Pineracer said:

I personally find the ride very rough, but I feel its removal would constitute a new theme for the area-which I want more than Ka/Zu or El Toro's removal right now. That's why if I made a bet, I would put my money on Twister.

I’ve never thought of El Toro as being really rough. It has developed rougher spots at times but it’s still a world class woodie, my favorite, that I can’t see going anywhere anytime soon. The park has tons of other space to create an area if they ever decide to commit the funds for one. 

Not saying they should but before El Toro ever gets “removed” I’d think RMC would get their hands on it first. 

Edited by Sluggo77

It depends where you sit. I find the rear of the cars on El Toro to be teeth rattling rough, while the front of the cars to be fairly smooth. Also ET is a major PITA to ride with the ultra strict no articles policy and ultra slow dispatches. However, I doubt it will be removed anytime soon unless the park lets it decay badly like with RT. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, Medusa42 said:

Great America: Buccaneer Battle, Hometown Fun Machine, Yankee Clipper flume, or Vertical Velocity(possible relocation)

Is Buccaneer Battle popular?  I would imagine there must have been issues with the ride's operations or popularity which prompted Six Flags not to install the same ride at other parks. 

I know River Battle at Dollywood was one of their shorter-lived rides and when I saw it at the park in 2009 it didn't look too exciting.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 7:01 AM, NKMM10893 said:

El Toro isn’t going anywhere. It’s the park’s most critically acclaimed ride and it always has a line.

Partly because the dispatches are so slow for El Toro.