VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags eliminating 15 underperforming rides this year

Medusa42

• 2 weeks later...

From my homepark (Six Flags America); the rumored ride(s) for removal are:

Penguin's Blizzard River (maintenance headache and can't operate in cooler weather)

Shipwreck Falls (same as above)
Batwing (slow operations and maintenance pain. Also it opens up a half hour later then the other rides at the park)

Not sure what I think would replace those attractions if they were to be removed. For PBR, I'd go for a 4D Free Spin; for Shipwreck Falls I'd go for a Sky Rocket II; and for Batwing, I'd go for a B&M Flyer :) 

And yes, I'm probably Whistling Dixie with those ideas; but frick a guy can dream can't he ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_st__louis.htm

Park News - (11/28/20) I can’t verify the truth of this rumor at this time, but according to one source Six Flags St. Louis may be planning to remove their Superman: Tower of Power drop tower ride over the winter months. This is something to keep an eye on if you are local to the area, as the removal of the tower ride should be easy to spot from outside the park over the winter. 

While Superman: Tower of Power first opened at Six Flags St. Louis in 2006, the ride itself was originally built as Dungeon Drop for Six Flags Astroworld, opening way back in 1997 and running until Astroworld was closed for good in late 2005. Can anyone else confirm that this ride may be on the way out? We know Six Flags was expected to remove a major ride from each of their major theme parks over the winter months as part of a cost savings measure.

12 hours ago, coastercouple said:

Any idea of when we know? I hate losing rides personally, but can deal with it, if the replacement is good.

Unless I’m misunderstanding this isn’t a remove and replace scenario. Eventually maybe but for the rides going it’s just a removal program as a cost savings measure to start. 

• 4 weeks later...

This would open up enough space for something the size of Bizarro.

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_darien_lake.htm

"Park News - (12/31/20) According to a Screamscape source, we are hearing that Six Flags Darien Lake may remove the park’s Grizzly Run raft ride from the park as part of the budget cutting initiative from corporate headquarters that will see 15 rides removed across the chain before the start of the 2021 season. Apparently Grizzly Run was on the chopping block along with Shipwreck Falls, the park’s shoot the chutes water ride, and the later was actually the one most expected to get cut. According to our source Grizzly Run costs more to operate and sits on a sizable piece of land that could be put to use for other things in the future."

I was curious if that would leave them with any water rides in the amusement side of the park and it looks like they would still have Shipwreck Falls. It seems like rapids rides could be one of the next type of rides to start leaving parks more.

On 11/9/2020 at 11:20 AM, The Master said:

Partly because the dispatches are so slow for El Toro. 

Yeah, the times I've ridden El Toro; the people take too long and don't follow directions by pulling the lap bar down BEFORE fastening the seat belt.

In theory, ET dispatches should be quicker because of the strictly enforced "No loose articles" policy. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_rides/permitted_rides.pdf

As of January 14, 2021, the following rides have permits to operate in 2021.

Great Adventure:

Tea Cup, Log Flume, Big Wheel, Round Up, Parachute, Top Spin, Go Cart Track, Mad House (Houdini's), Regatta (Jolly Roger), Sky Zooma, Black Beards Lost Treasu, Rockwall, Ladder Climb, Kiddie Stage Coach, Slingshot, Star Flyer, Scrambler, Bumber Cars, Manor Trail, Total Darkness, Big Top Terror, Aquaplay, Roaring Rapids, Cyborg Cyber Spin, Mirror Maze.

Hurricane Harbor:

Complex 5 (Coaster Slide, Complex 6-Slide 1 & 2 (Di, Complex 6-Slide 3 & 4 (Di, Complex 6-Wave Pool (Di, Complex 6-Pirate Ship (Di, Complex 6-Play Structure, Tornado TN 60, Kracken Racer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully they get a new train from Vekoma and some other upgrades.  Aftershock at Silverwood Theme Park seems to run with minimal issues.

It looks like Frontier City is removing Thunder Road Raceway (Go-Karts).  There is a wood fence blocking off the area from the path in the park and the fence between Thunder Road Raceway and the maintenance area was removed.  It is unclear if Renegade Rapids, which is next to this area, will also be removed.

Feb. 3:

144984325_1630374990497485_7929681020118

Feb. 6:

145366853_1632653860269598_1845756205041

145695068_1632653896936261_9056862019314

Edit: Source of Photos: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oklahomacoasterclub

Edited by Medusa42
  • Like 1

Other than for big go kart fans, I guess if a park has to lose a ride, that's one of the better rides to lose considering they are usually an upcharge and can be found outside of amusement parks.

On 2/14/2021 at 11:42 AM, Medusa42 said:

Hopefully they get a new train from Vekoma and some other upgrades.  Aftershock at Silverwood Theme Park seems to run with minimal issues.

It looks like Frontier City is removing Thunder Road Raceway (Go-Karts).  There is a wood fence blocking off the area from the path in the park and the fence between Thunder Road Raceway and the maintenance area was removed.  It is unclear if Renegade Rapids, which is next to this area, will also be removed.

Feb. 3:

144984325_1630374990497485_7929681020118

Feb. 6:

145366853_1632653860269598_1845756205041

145695068_1632653896936261_9056862019314

Edit: Source of Photos: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oklahomacoasterclub

The Go Carts are not on the website, therefore, I think they are safe as gone.

• 3 weeks later...