VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Front Gate Drop-Off and Pick-Up

Who recalls when guest drop-off and pick-up was right at the front of the park near the landscaped mound?  At night cars would be parked all around the planter with people waiting for their kids to come out of the park for their ride home.  As a kid when this feature was still in place, I can say it was super convenient!

81SB 16-2 copy.jpg

This pairs with my memories from the early 80's of the old "lockers", which were in a trailer outside the Front Gate. The lockers were a bunch of anodized aluminum baskets with laminated numbers held on with clothes pins. You rented your locker for the day and they gave you the basket to put your stuff in (usually your bagged lunch). They gave you a copy of the laminated number to hold all day and come back and get your stuff. I always remember the trailer smelled like warm peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The baskets were just like these:

s-l1600.jpg

We'd get dropped off at the planter with a few dollars and lunch, spend a few hours riding rides, go out to the mall area and sit on the brick wall eating our sandwiches, go back and ride a few more rides, then get picked up in the late afternoon. 

• Like 2