VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Opening Hour Sprint

Back in the '80s my friends and I use to head right for the Log Flume and ride it about five times knowing that the line would be well over an hour later in the day.  We would then hit the Runaway Train for three or four rides and then hop on the Skyride to the other side of the park to ride the Hydro Flume, Lightnin' Loops, Haunted Castle and all the flats on that side of the park.  

• Like 1

I didn't get to the park at opening too often but the few times I did, I would usually go to Kingda Ka since the line usually builds up fast. Once in a while I would go to the other side of the park and start with Batman and Nitro and get a few laps in a row in. One time I went to Batman and was able to get a solo ride because no one else went there for the first train of the day.

As a teenager I rarely made it to the park right in time for opening, but when I did, I'd sprint from the fountain as if my life depended on it. Those first 30 minutes or so of operations provided so much opportunity for those precious extra rides. I've always admired that they let guests through the ticketing gates early to line up along Main Street and really maximize their park time.

On that note, look at all the happiness and determination on the faces of the runners in that picture. Everybody's route was planned out well before they started moving. What a great shot!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The morning dash to KK was horrible a few years ago. People getting in fights, everyone shoving and pushing each other, some people even trying to trip others over to get ahead, running over tables and walls, etc. One lone poor security guard trying to control the raging stamppede.