VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Cinema 180

GAcoaster

One of the big attractions that almost every park in the 1980's seems to have installed was the Cinema 180. They were simple and cost effective shows where the tent like structure supported a 180 degree screen which was created with suction behind the screen and a 70 millimeter film full of action sequences that you felt like you were in the middle of. Great Adventure had one (I used to run the projector while reading books for my college classes), and the other day I ran across a YouTube video compilation of some of the scenes from the films. Included is footage of the original Colossus at Magic Mountain and Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. 

• 8 months later...

Back during it's Wild World days,SFA had a Cinema 180;the weird thing was it wasn't actually 180-it was more like 90/100,and everyone had to stand.The films shown were very similar to the above video-basically POV footage of coasters and race cars/motrcycles.Sometimes they would throw in a "slow" segment: one movie had footage taken by a helicopter as it flew over Mt. St. Helens about a week after it erupted.