VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

PTR: May 1, 2022- Great Adventure (and bonus Coney Island)

nbadude44

Yesterday was the only free day I have in the foreseeable future before Memorial Day (when things start to get busy at the park), so I went to the park on a whim. Turns out it was the perfect day to go!

The weather was really nice (sunny & no higher than 75 degrees) and the crowds were almost non-existent. The only ride that had a wait of more than 15 minutes was Superman, and that's only because only one train was running. On the other hand, some rides actually had more trains than necessary. For example, Kingda Ka was a walk-on because it had 3 trains running. Also, they apparently can't operate Ka without having a full train, so I was able to get three consecutive rides without changing seats (after my third ride, Ka had technical difficulties, so I lucked out there). Not to mention, the new single rider lines also helped a lot since I went by myself.

Actually, I was able to to get tons of re-rides yesterday; specifically 4 on El Toro (which is running much smoother than 2 years ago, when I last rode it), 3 on Medusa, 2 on Jersey Devil, and 3 on Nitro. By 1 PM, I had also gotten rides on Runaway Train (where I literally had a train all to myself), the Sky Ride, and Skull Mountain. After lunch at Granny's, I made a personal goal to ride every single coaster at least once, and I got it done by 5 PM (plus a ride on the Parachutes) and left shortly afterwards. This is actually the 2nd time I've been able to ride every single coaster at least once in a day. The other time was in 2008 on the very last day of Fright Fest when in was 13. 

While sitting in traffic on the way home to Long Island, I remembered that Luna Park in Coney Island is getting a new roller coaster that intertwines with a new log flume. I had no idea if it was open yet or not, so I thought, "Well, there's only one way to find out!"

The bad news is that it's not ready yet. The coaster (Tom's Express) is mostly finished and the log flume (Leti's Treasure) still needs plenty of work. They're gonna be conveniently located in between the Thunderbolt coaster and the Parachute Tower, and all of the remaining pieces of both rides are sitting behind it fenced off, right next to the baseball stadium. The GOOD news is that I got credits on the 2 coasters that opened last year at the Deno's Wonder Wheel Park: the Vekoma family/inverted Phoenix, and SkyFlyer, a kiddie coaster that makes Lil Devil/Road Runner Railway look like a B&M Gigacoaster. I left Coney Island after only an hour because it was getting chillier as the sun was setting.

Final Ridecount:

Great Adventure:

El Toro 4x

Medusa 4x (aka the coaster formerly known as 'the coaster formerly known as Medusa')

Kingda Ka 3x

Jersey Devil 2x

Runaway Train 1x

Sky Ride 1x

Skull Mountain 1x

Lil Devil 1x

Harley Quinn 1x

Joker 1x

Dark Knight 1x

Batman 1x

Green Lantern 1x

Superman 1x

Deno's Wonder Wheel Park:

Phoenix 1x

Skyflyer 1x

• Like 1

Great Adventure photos:

A few observations:

• This might be the last time I see the 90's-eraSix Flags road sign since they're replacing it soon.
  • There was some promo event in the back of the parking lot hosted by BMW. They had a bunch of tents and cars out for test drives.
  • The Wiggles' stage is completely gone and the concrete foundation for the re-located Barnstormer looks like it will be set any day now.
  • There's a boardwalk game booth set up behind the abandoned Paintball building now. As if we need more unnecessary things blocking that path...
  • There are new electric car charging stations next to Green Lantern's queue, which is neat.
  • The big Adventure Crossing pavilion down the road from the park has had a ton of progress. It looks like the vertical construction on the new Marriott hotel began recently. Also, a new Popeye's and Taco Bell in that pavilion are already open, plus a 7-11 with a gas station that's almost done. Everything else still has a long way to go.

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

Thanks for sharing your great trip report and photos!  You really made the most of the day visiting both parks!

It's nice to see the updates of GA.  I hope to get there in the next few days.  As for Luna Park, someday I'll get there.  I only visited once in the dead of winter and there wasn't much to see.  The daily news reports of crime in NYC are sort of discouraging me right now.