VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Scrambler

GAcoaster

Scrambler's are a fun and classic Carnival ride. Nowaday's you kind of have to "theme them up" to keep intrest high, though. My favorite indoor one was always Poltergeist at Seaside. My first time on it, it had Tool blasting with a pretty decent light show. Ater seeing the video of it now though, with what they did to it, it looks like the lamest ride in the world. Maybe intrest will be so low that they will give it back to us. Now our park needs the rides that we gave to all the other one's in the chain.

I just realized I forgot to mention in the description that at one point (I forget which year) the park made the ride more "permanent" by setting the driveshaft into a covered trench, eliminating the steel diamond plate cover that originally ran from the motor to the central column. That used to be a tripping hazard, and the ride really had no attachment to the ground until that modification was made.

You can see that covering in the top photo.

Yay! This ride was always one of my favorites. Thanks for bringing back great memories!

I was excited when the park moved the scrambler parts to the El Sombrero pad. It meant that I could have the chance to operate another classic from my childhood. I had asked friends in the construction department to rename the ride the Salsa Mixer but alas, they were to call it El Sombrero. Then as the season approached, operations redesigned the ride sections and gave the Frontier Adventures flats to 220 and Medusa to 230 because of the closure of Viper. Then the scrambler moved to the Lakefront and then disappeared altogether.

Edited by darkridedan

^Themed Scramblers? Um -- I see plenty of Scramblers at theme parks which are generically themed to nothing.. I.E off the top of my head is the one next to Volcano: The Blast Coaster at Kings Dominion.

More Scrambler's have no themeing at all than one's that do. GA's had the "space" theme, Poltergeist was indoor's, The one you mentioned and the video of GA's now. So there are a few themed one's out there. I've been going on Scrambler's since my Grammar School's Carnival in the mid-seventies, I need something to look at if i'm on a Scrambler after all these years of riding them. :huh:

I used to love the Scrambler when I was little. But I only rode it twice at GA. Both as Centrifuge, but In Movie Town and in the Boardwalk. I had a Scrambler at my park in my neighborhood, so I used to ride that one all the time, so the one at GA just never appealed to me. Though I was sad when it wasn't re-built. Though I had no idea that the one at SFOG was originally ours.

-Dainan "Learn something new everyday" Rafferty

Woohoo one I had the pleasure of riding. The scramblers have always been a favorite of mine whenever I find one at an amusement park. I really am dissapointed someone else got to profit from our loss of the ride, but the thought of the indoor Scrambler painted up and all like that is pretty cool. I hope we see something like it again since it is one of those classic park rides in my opinion.

• 4 months later...

JUST ADDED!

Be sure to check out our Scrambler Extras Album in our GAH Spotlight Related Media Gallery. We just added some pictures of GA's relocated Scrambler at Six Flags Over Georgia and a "new" video of the ride when it was located near the Showcase Theatre before being rethemed to Centrifuge.

Slide1.jpg

• 2 years later...

I really hope the ride comes back to Great Adventure especially since I can't ride the one at Dorney anymore thanks to the stupid rule of no single riders being added a couple of years ago.

I wish they would consider taking St Louis swings that are being removed for there new ride and put it in the teepees old spot. Then put the scrambler in flying waves old spot relocate musik express and put it in evolutions old spot and move the bumper cars and put it in the old pirate flights and flings spot then move fling to choas spot and reopen tango and give them new names (exept tango) and you have 5 new flats to advertise with only cost of transportation and construction as well as labor.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Scrambler - The Original
  • 2 years later...