VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Lightnin' Loops

GAcoaster

Very nice spotlight about Lightnin Loops. I never got to ride it since I was too young to ride untill after LL was removed. Back when my parents were dating they rode old LL 25 times in a row nonstop (not having to get off for the next person because the station was empty). It is a shame that one section was scrapped.

Long before it was Johnny Rockets and Papa Johns, the food stand outside of Wiggles World was known as the Lightnin' Loops Cafe. Built in 1978 to accompany Lightnin' Loops, this was the first major food establishement added by Six Flags Corporation to fill the need for additional restaurant and snack places across the park.

gallery_2_420_145931.jpg

gallery_2_420_174419.jpg

gallery_2_420_434806.jpg

gallery_2_420_390370.jpg

Long before it was Johnny Rockets and Papa Johns, the food stand outside of Wiggles World was known as the Lightnin' Loops Cafe. Built in 1978 to accompany Lightnin' Loops, this was the first major food establishement added by Six Flags Corporation to fill the need for additional restaurant and snack places across the park.

gallery_2_420_145931.jpg

gallery_2_420_174419.jpg

gallery_2_420_434806.jpg

gallery_2_420_390370.jpg

Just an FYI regarding the Circus World Arrow Shuttle. It's my understanding that the Circus World ride was the Arrow prototype and the elevator was included as an option for those purchasing the production ride.

Also, regarding the Lightnin' Loops Cafe', I was an assistant manager at LLC during the 1981 & 1982 seasons and the restaurant did not have service windows directly to the outside. That is, although there was no indoor seating for the restaurant, you did have to go inside the restaurant to be served.

Also, regarding the Lightnin' Loops Cafe', I was an assistant manager at LLC during the 1981 & 1982 seasons and the restaurant did not have service windows directly to the outside. That is, although there was no indoor seating for the restaurant, you did have to go inside the restaurant to be served.

That's right, I had forgotten about that!

It's kind of funny that recently La Cantina went from a "inside" setip to "outside counters" as La Cocina, while Johnny Rockets went from an "outside counters" restaurant as the Great American Hamburger to an "inside" setup.

• 3 months later...

Awsome spotlight! I had one chance to ride it in 89 and was afraid because what mom told me had happened. I was only 9 at the time and might have been to small anyhow. I really wish I tried to get on it now that its gone. :( We went in 94 and the first place I had my mom head was to where Lightnin Loops was located,gone and I was heart broken. Tried to get to the its new location in Maryland but went to Great Adventure instead. I'm just happy I got to ride Free fall and Chiller quiet abit.

• 3 months later...

To bad we couldn't open our own theme park with all the past rides in it to ride forever. Lightin loops spotlight may be my favorite one to date. This is the best website to get memories going thanks a lot guys for having a fantastic idea in starting this site atleast I'm not the only great adventure obsesed fan

^ We are glad you like the site! :)

I remember going to Circus World Amusement Park near Orlando in 1983 with my grandfather. I was so impressed because their single loop version of Lightnin' Loops called the Flying Daredevil actually had an elevator to the top platform. I thought it was strange that a small park like Circus World had an elevator yet we were so much larger and more crowded and we only had stairs. Their train was shorter by a couple of cars too.

I found a few photos from my 1983 trip to Circus World (now closed) in Florida. You can see the elevator in the photos. Their station was also covered to protect riders from the hot Florida sun.

gallery_2_43_120375.jpg

Circus World became Boardwalk and Baseball for a while and then was purchased by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Publishing who owned SeaWorld. Busch Entertainment purchased HBJ's parks wanting to acquire SeaWorld, and decided to close the park. It had never performed the way the developers expected.

By all accounts the closing of the park was strange, with an announcement at 2:00 in the afternoon that the park was closing and that was it.

Boardwalk and Baseball was so great. It combined 2 of my favorite hobbies baseball and amusement parks. I was only 7 when I went there but I remember liking it a lot more than the brand new at the time Disney MGM Studios.

I wish Great Adventure would have kept one side of the ride as planned. I guess it would have been gone by now anyway but it looks like a cool concept that I would have liked to try.

Edited by Yoshi

• 1 month later...
To bad we couldn't open our own theme park with all the past rides in it to ride forever. Lightin loops spotlight may be my favorite one to date. This is the best website to get memories going thanks a lot guys for having a fantastic idea in starting this site atleast I'm not the only great adventure obsesed fan

It would be great if someone would open a "retro rides" theme park. Just because the latest, greatest rides are bigger and faster doesn't mean some people don't want to ride the older ones from the past. People like old woodies, so why not? I'd throw in Lightnin' Loops, Ultra Twister, Shockwave... maybe the Laser from Dorney... Flashback from Magic Mountain... anything else that used to be scary. It's too bad it would probably be a massive money pit.

Circus World became Boardwalk and Baseball for a while and then was purchased by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Publishing who owned SeaWorld. Busch Entertainment purchased HBJ's parks wanting to acquire SeaWorld, and decided to close the park. It had never performed the way the developers expected.

By all accounts the closing of the park was strange, with an announcement at 2:00 in the afternoon that the park was closing and that was it.

That is a pretty strange closing, it would be cool if there was a retro park with our old favorite rides that have been removed.

• 3 weeks later...
It would be great if someone would open a "retro rides" theme park. Just because the latest, greatest rides are bigger and faster doesn't mean some people don't want to ride the older ones from the past. People like old woodies, so why not? I'd throw in Lightnin' Loops, Ultra Twister, Shockwave... maybe the Laser from Dorney... Flashback from Magic Mountain... anything else that used to be scary. It's too bad it would probably be a massive money pit.

I would go to a park like that.The closest thing to a park like that we have that I know of is Knoebels.I wish they would have bought the other half that had been scrapped and refurbished it instead of the big pile of match and popcicle sticks they call The Flying Turns(yard ornament).It would be cool if GA,if they open old country again maybe put some of the old rides in there,and try to buy diamondback back and put it in FF footprint,or even invest in a rebuilt one,ect.It would be cool if they refurbish their old Enterprise,even new would do.

• 2 months later...