VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Holiday in the Park 2022

GAcoaster

Now that we can all breath a sigh of relief that Holiday in the Park (and Drive Through version) are coming back, I have to wonder if the parks that cancelled their events may be sending their decorations to the parks that are still hosting the event? You have to figure that if they're not using stuff it makes sense to send it to another park who can use it and plus the HitP experience for those parks still hosting with more decorations. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 1:49 AM, GAcoaster said:

Maybe it was the additional wear and tear on the pavement? 

Could very well be a factor in a park largely paved in concrete, especially if someone is using some sort of salt mixture to make the route safe for vehicles to drive-on.  Somehow, though, I'm not willing to give that much credit to the man at the helm's thought processes or his willingness to listen to someone at the park level that may have advised him of such an issue.  I just don't see a lot of logic in his decisions or his willingness to listen to the rational of far more tenured theme park professionals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The park will be closed Dec 23 and 24.  These days like others keep popping on and off the operating calendar.  

Here is a suggest on how to get more guests to attend Holiday in the Park — ADVERTISE.  How else will the general public know you are open, especially since you did away with press releases and media events/notifications.  

• Like 3

On 12/17/2022 at 1:47 AM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

The park will be closed Dec 23 and 24.  These days like others keep popping on and off the operating calendar.  

Here is a suggest on how to get more guests to attend Holiday in the Park — ADVERTISE.  How else will the general public know you are open, especially since you did away with press releases and media events/notifications.  

They probably cut those days due to the terrible weather forecasted for them. A strong storm followed by crashing temps and a flash freeze. Its probably too cold for many of the outdoor rides to operate in those Arctic conditions. I know I would not want to walk around any park in sub freezing weather like that. Its going to be the coldest Christmas in 30 years and would not be surprised if they cut HITP short because of the unusual bitter Arctic blast. Its supposed to warm back up into the 50's by New Year's weekend but that may be too late. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:47 AM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Then the bad forecast gave them the excuse to finally cut them. Would not be surprised if at least Monday is also cut due to the extreme cold as temps are suppisedvto rise above freezing until Wed. Sad reality is that late Dec weather here is more often than not, is hostile to outdoor park operations. I wish it wasn't so as I do like HITP. This isvone reason why I really liked the lights drivethru, you fould enjoy the lights from the comfort of a heated car instead of walking and freezing. 

Edited by The Master

Makes sense that (even if they weren't questioning previously, though that seems to have been the case) they would close for the 23rd & 24th.  If NJ is anything like it is up here in NY, tomorrow would be great temperature (into the 50's) but heavy rain to go with, then the quick drop to below freezing.

Probably wouldn't even have been a good two days for the drive thru version, were they still doing that (maybe Saturday night would be OK, cold but cleared up, but Friday night is the worst part with the dropping temperature and the remains of precipitation causing issues on the roads).

If they still had the drive thru they would have to super salt the walkways for the cars which would cause long term dsmage to the pavement and park infrastructure as well as to guest's cars. Ice melt salt is pretty much pure entropy to everything it touches. 

20 hours ago, The Master said:

If they still had the drive thru they would have to super salt the walkways for the cars which would cause long term damage to the pavement and park infrastructure as well as to guest's cars. Ice melt salt is pretty much pure entropy to everything it touches. 

If you use actual salt, yes.  There are other types of ice melting substances that are less of an issue, just at a higher price.