VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #51: Experience only three 1974 attraction

It is 1974 and you just stepped through the turnstiles for Great Adventure’s theme park. You are so excited and ready to have a great time - but there is a catch.  You can only do three opening season experiences which the park has to offer.  Do you ride the flume, the Skyride, the Great Train, the Antique Cars, something else?  Do you take in the show at the Great Arena or Aqua Spectacle?   Tour the Garden of Marvels, eat a meal, interact with the street characters, etc.?   Choose three specific activities (touring the park and taking photos doesn’t count)!  Here is a map to remind you of the options. 

scan%20copy.jpg

• Like 1

Giant Wheel, Aqua Spectacle, and Runaway Train.  Probably a little skewed by the family next door who had already visited and raved about the Giant Wheel, the high diving show, and the Runaway Train.  The Great Arena's Chariot Races, Best of the West's giant logs on the roof, and Garden of Marvels were big favorites of theirs as well.  

My reason for the Giant Wheel was that the entire family rode together and it gave a great view of the entire park.  Aqua Spectacle because we had heard about the divers and dolphins and had never visited Sea World or seen those types of live performances before.  Runaway Train was definitely influenced by my neighbors who thought it was such an incredible ride and told my mother and father to beware of that small hill over the lake and how it pops you out of your seat.

It's also important to consider that I had visited Disneyworld, Busch Gardens, and Hersheypark prior to visiting GA for the first time.  Word of Mouth (the neighbors, again) was a huge factor in my parents taking us for the first time.  Also, my father was glad it was another park that served beer.  Although, unlike Busch Gardens, you had to pay for it at GA.

Like Daved, we alao were highly encouraged to experience the Runaway Train with its death-defying last turn above the water.  That advice came from my sister who went to the park with friends before our ‘74 family visit.  She was right - it was scary (at least back then).

Second. I’d love to visit the Garden of Marvels.  I can recall us spending a lot of time taking that area in. Not only were the model buildings beautiful but all the different modes of transportation in motion was amazing.  This is what began my appreciation for G-scale trains to this day.  

Lastly, I’d take a ride on the Skyride to see the majority of the park.  I don’t recall if I went on it in ‘74 but I do know my family rode it at night in ‘75.  I can recall my mom pointing out all the lights on the Fortune Festival game buildings.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Like Daved, we alao were highly encouraged to experience the Runaway Train with its death-defying last turn above the water.  That advice came from my sister who went to the park with friends before our ‘74 family visit.  She was right - it was scary (at least back then).

Second. I’d love to visit the Garden of Marvels.  I can recall us spending a lot of time taking that area in. Not only were the model buildings beautiful but all the different modes of transportation in motion was amazing.  This is what began my appreciation for G-scale trains to this day.  

Lastly, I’d take a ride on the Skyride to see the majority of the park.  I don’t recall if I went on it in ‘74 but I do know my family rode it at night in ‘75.  I can recall my mom pointing out all the lights on the Fortune Festival game buildings.  

Wow, didn't know you've been visiting Great Adventure since the beginning!

Anyhow, I wasn't born until 1981 so I'd have to time travel back to 1974 to do this thing. I'd take in a chariot race at the Great Arena, ride the Log Flume and do the Garden of Marvels.

• Like 1

Runaway Train and Big Fury since coasters are always the priority for me and I would also want to get the credits to add to my coaster count.

For the third ride, I’d go with the log flume since they are one of my favorite non coaster rides.