VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure Rainbow Highway Sign

29yrswithaGApass

I remember heading to the park for 1983's opening day.  The sign read "WELCOME BACK!  FREEFALL IN TEST."  In the days before cell phones and internet, we headed up the overpass hoping that even though FreeFall wasn't open yet maybe the new Parachuter's Perch would be.  We realized that wasn't happening when we first saw the parachute tower which at that time was simply a steel column with a huge crane next to it.

• Like 1

Great spotlight and easily my favorite of the roadway signs for the park.  Interesting little tidbit about the Lightnin' Loops version of the rainbow sign.  Just speculating here, but I'm thinking the two signs were not produced by the same sign company.  The Lightnin' Loops version of the rainbow does not use the correct font for Six Flags. It also incorrectly utilizes four stars before and after Six Flags, rather than 4 stars before and 4 1/2 stars after.  Six Flags proudly began adding versions of the new logo to many of the park's ride vehicles and merchandise/souvenirs.  They had to work pretty hard to fit Six Flags above Great Adventure on the log flume boats, but they somehow succeeded and managed to use the correct Six Flags font.