VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Wirecraft AKA Crystal Shop

Having worked for one of those contractors, I found it interesting the way the park structures their agreements.

The contractor pays whatever the park decides the cost of the stand is, then pays a percentage of the sales as well. It was very hard to make money as a contractor with all the charges from the park. Several of the contractors have locations at theme parks all over the place, so I guess there's money to be made... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

Having worked for one of those contractors, I found it interesting the way the park structures their agreements.

The contractor pays whatever the park decides the cost of the stand is, then pays a percentage of the sales as well. It was very hard to make money as a contractor with all the charges from the park. Several of the contractors have locations at theme parks all over the place, so I guess there's money to be made... 

So the original firm selling out of the location pays the original construction costs for the location as well as costs to lease the location for some period of time (anywhere from 1 season to "n" seasons), and a percentage of their sales at the location?  Those are pretty hefty upfront costs for the first firm doing business out of the location.  Subsequent firms selling out of the property probably had it a little better.  That is, of course, unless the location required substantial modifications to sell the new tenants merchandise, which I'm assuming the park would charge them to complete.  I wonder if the park offered some minimum attendance level for the season before taking a percentage of the locations sales. 

11 hours ago, Daved Thomson said:

So the original firm selling out of the location pays the original construction costs for the location as well as costs to lease the location for some period of time (anywhere from 1 season to "n" seasons), and a percentage of their sales at the location?  Those are pretty hefty upfront costs for the first firm doing business out of the location.  Subsequent firms selling out of the property probably had it a little better.  That is, of course, unless the location required substantial modifications to sell the new tenants merchandise, which I'm assuming the park would charge them to complete.  I wonder if the park offered some minimum attendance level for the season before taking a percentage of the locations sales. 

Yep-- I worked for "The Bird Factory" (Sand Art), and I remember hearing how much the park charged to build the stand. The owner was upset because they simply moved the roof from the first location to the new location but charged $17,000 for a "new roof". That same roof is still being used on another stand in another location (and they probably charged the new contractor for it again).  

• Confused 1