VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Nitro getting rethemed & renamed in 2023?

nbadude44

I'm not sure if this has been addressed on the forums yet, but there's been some rumors a-brewing about our favorite B&M hypercoaster.

This video that was uploaded 2 weeks ago is making claims from a source close to the park that Nitro is getting a new name, new theming, and a new color scheme in the next season. It's supposedly being re-named "Goliath" and will be using the same sign from Six Flags New England's now-demolished coaster of the same name. If that wasn't enough, it's reportedly getting re-painted w/ green track & deep blue supports, just like the SFNE coaster.

Speaking of B&M, there was also a report of a delivery of various B&M parts that arrived just a few days ago at the park. Coincidence?

Personally, I haven't heard any other legitimate sources and/or claims that address anything else, but I hope that these rumors aren't true. Yes, Nitro has been craving a re-paint for years now, but the coaster name "Goliath" is Six Flags' equivalent to "John Smith". Nitro is one of a kind, and it should stay that way.

Everyone's knee-jerk reaction is to be upset that Nitro's theme is leaving, but people will come around to it. If it means breathing life into the ride, then so be it (yes, I know there's ways to do that while keeping the theme, but that's not as marketable in their eyes - completely understandable IMO).

16 minutes ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

A park has a problem with its business model if simply repainting a ride means you can be considered it a new attraction.  Repainting is a part of maintenance and upkeep which often leads to the question why they didn’t do it sooner. 

Welcome to Six Flags 🤣

Edit: Just joking around, @29yrswithaGApass has had a pass longer than I've been alive! I agree on this entirely, it's a shame that it comes to this but we take what we get at this point.

Edited by Gyrotron

I hope SF doesn't retheme Nitro as an excuse to pass it off as a new attraction. This is a practice Disney has performed in recent years, especially out in DCA and its a really tacky maneuver.  

If this is what they're actually doing I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. What exactly has gone on to make GAdv the recipient of trash from an even worse park? Retheming a ride and passing it off as a new attraction is like taking some album that already exists, changing the album art and song names, and passing it off as entirely new music. 

Overreactions aside, Nitro is an original theme that's unique to our park. By going through with this retheme, Six Flags will have:

1. Given the ride a name that is probably the most overused in the chain

2. A color scheme that doesn't even fit the name

3. Track color that already matches three other rides in the park (Medusa, GL, Ka) and a color scheme that directly matches another ride (Ka has green track and blue supports).

Something about reusing a name and color scheme from a ride that was one of the chains biggest flops over the past decade (Goliath at NFNE) really rubs me the wrong way. I thought the Medusa retheme was pretty cool but believe me when I say that there is NOTHING good about this retheme if it happens, unless they give that entire area a facelift, which I don't see them doing. It's honestly embarrassing seeing this park get outmatched by Hershey year after year, and then responding to that with stuff like this.

• Like 1

I was able to find a new video by the same user which sort of serves as an update regarding the rumors surrounding a potential retheme. The video can be found here.

Like Gyrotron said, the video (which is all rumors, nothing is confirmed) talks about how there's a chance the Goliath plans were thrown out, and that they may just keep the Nitro theme and repaint the ride, giving it cobalt blue track and gray supports. I'd personally love this because it's a unique color scheme that doesn't already exist, and I just love that color combination in general and think it fits the ride perfectly. In my opinion it would be an absolute home run if Six Flags did this instead.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You can't really "re-theme" something that never had a theme to begin with. And goliath is just another non-theme.

Nitro is one of my favorite rides in the country. I would love for it to have a coherent theme and less obnoxious color scheme, but it would require that area of the park actually having a theme, something they are too lazy and cheap to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why was it necessary to have the trains re-painted for 2023, while there are plans to re-paint the track in 2024? This was the same story with Medusa opening without some of the track/catwalks being painted, and the sign still under development. If they are going to close down parts of the park to finish restorations, then at least have them fully completed when it's done. It's sloppy otherwise, IMO.

• Like 1