VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Demolition of the Conestoga Wagon Spotlight

I can't believe it has been ten years since I witnessed the demolition of the Conestoga Wagon on what was the coldest morning of the year.  Frigid temps (it was 7 degrees - not including the windchill) shutdown my iphone but I was happy my camera did not give out.  It was sad to see the Conestoga Wagon go, but if it meant saving the Safari, that was OK with me.

• Like 1

Really sad now since the Safari trucks are now all but kaput themselves. It would be nice if they tore down the old Safari truck station and put in a western themed ride, perhaps a wagon themed ride? Sadly that would be unlikely to happen anytime soon. 

On 1/29/2023 at 6:07 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I can't believe it has been ten years since I witnessed the demolition of the Conestoga Wagon on what was the coldest morning of the year.  Frigid temps (it was 7 degrees - not including the windchill) shutdown my iphone but I was happy my camera did not give out.  It was sad to see the Conestoga Wagon go, but if it meant saving the Safari, that was OK with me.

Very sad to see this spotlight and agree that the time has passed so quickly.  The irony in all of this is that it really didn't save the Safari, it simply saved them the expense of repaving it at that time.  In fact, they lost the revenue provided from both the Conestoga Wagon when it operated in conjunction with the Arena, the TeePee as a merchandise shop, and the Safari as a separate gate.  As sad as it all is, in reality, it took COVID and the State's government intervention in closing businesses of every kind for Six Flags to realize that the Safari was their only viable revenue stream.  Just my thought, but the Safari attracts a very different demographic than the theme park and that difference has grown over time, as the theme park has become dominated by rollercoasters and eliminated (or severely diminished) shows.  At the time, I think they thought adding multiple kiddie sections to the theme park would draw in families with small children that otherwise might have only visited the Safari as a drive-thru.

The Safari also provides them with big tax breaks from what I understand. 

The problem with Conestoga was without daily shows in the Arena it rarely did any business. And with the decreasing and now nonexistent concerts it really made no sense since they just had vendors in the Arena selling food and drinks. 

I think it's time for them to redevelop that area where the Teepee/Conestoga Safari Off Road Station were and add something new. Maybe a large flat ride or something. If the Great Arena is not reopening, they have plenty of space for a new coaster or SOMETHING back there.  

• Like 1