VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Why was the theme changed on Houdini's Great Escape?

For its first season of operation, Houdini had a different theme than it currently does. Its was changed to its current them in the attraction's second season. I wonder why it was changed? The first theme was still about Houdini but darker and more sinister. Perhaps his estate complained about it? 

The early version lacked Margery in the preshow, instead it played old time piano music thst was in sync with the actions of the characters in the preshow film. After the film breaks, all the spooky gags started up after the film breaks as in the curent version. 

The main ride room back then lacked the prop furniture  behind the pews by the windows, the Houdini posters, and the table stand with the ball containing Houdini's head. There was also no narration from Houdini during the ride. However, a giant image of Houdini, the same one that appears over the preshow fireplace would appear in the skylight over the riders. It would then change into a negative image of Houdini with glowing green eyes and gave out a sinister laugh. When the ride ended as you exited you could hear Houdini faintly yell no, noo. 

Edited by The Master
  • Like 1

Your recollection of a lot of the details of the first version are better than mine. I do remember the layout being much simpler inside the cabin and Houdini on the ceiling behind the skylight. I think they opted for a show with many more props and special effects which did make it more interesting. The first edition was rather simplistic and less impressive.  

Don't know if the New England version had a different version originally or not, but that one has narration, but he sounds evil on that one, the Great Adventure one is much better and makes more sense than the New England one. Like Houdini is not a bad guy. 

It's interesting to know it was different its first year. 

9 hours ago, ericthewanderer said:
17 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Your recollection of a lot of the details of the first version are better than mine. I do remember the layout being much simpler inside the cabin and Houdini on the ceiling behind the skylight. I think they opted for a show with many more props and special effects which did make it more interesting. The first edition was rather simplistic and less impressive.  

The first version was more simple and less sensical. Why would Houdini turn bad? However, I do miss the giant Houdini image appearing in the skylight and the old time music for the preshow film. The skylight image of Houdini was the same as the fireplace image that is still in the preshow. There are probably mors details I am not remembering.

12 hours ago, jollyroger said:

Don't know if the New England version had a different version originally or not, but that one has narration, but he sounds evil on that one, the Great Adventure one is much better and makes more sense than the New England one. Like Houdini is not a bad guy. 

It's interesting to know it was different its first year. 

I have not been to SFNE but it sounds like their version is similar to the early version at GADV's.  

12 hours ago, ericthewanderer said:

My first time at Great Adv. was in Sept. 1999,when Houdini was new.IIRC Marjorie was always part of it.the props were always in the main ride area,and there was nothing I remember about Houdini sounding scary or evil.

Here is a picture from 1999 showing the main ride room lacking the table with the cystal ball on the exit side of the platform. 

19990253.jpg

The ride always did have the gargoyes over the doorways, but the posters and furniture behind the pews are not original from 1999, they were added in 2000. In fact the one Houdini poster on a stand in the backcorner is not installed in this 1999 picture.