VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

SFGA adding Amazon’s ‘Just Walk Out’ technology

Six Flags Great Adventure adding Amazon’s ‘Just Walk Out’ technology

Kimberly Redmond//May 11, 2023 - NJBIZ.COM

The lines are about to get shorter at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson. 

The theme park’s operator, Six Flags Entertainment Corp., is teaming up with The Coca-Cola Co. to introduce a micro-market concept powered by Amazon’s Just Walk Out frictionless payment technology, allowing guests to purchase park essentials without waiting in line at the register.

Called Quick Six, the 400-square-foot space is scheduled to open May 22 and features a curated selection of Coca-Cola products, as well as snacks, sunscreen, ponchos and other must-haves for a day at the park.

After perusing, visitors can place items in their virtual cart and simply leave when they’re done shopping, with their selections automatically charged to the payment method used to enter the store.

According to Six Flags, Quick Six is the first and only automated checkout-free shopping experience within a theme park.

Following its New Jersey debut at Great Adventure, Six Flags expects to launch the concept later this year at Magic Mountain in Los Angeles, Calif.

In a statement, Six Flags Vice President Stephanie Borges said, “We are thrilled to be able to offer this convenience to our park guests.” She went on to say that they believe the technology’s ability to “provide fast, seamless and contactless transactions” will “resonate really well in this setting.”

Jon Jenkins, vice president of Amazon’s Just Walk Out technology, said, “We are excited to collaborate with Six Flags and Coca-Cola to deliver a better experience for guests and enable them to spend more time enjoying all these iconic parks have to offer.”

First introduced in the e-commerce giant’s Amazon Go convenience stores, the payment solution was later expanded to Amazon Fresh supermarkets and the company’s Whole Foods Market subsidiary. Other grocery retailers across the country have also adopted Amazon’s checkout-free technology, as well as a few sports and entertainment venues.

Six Flags Great Adventure is also rolling out several other new features for the 2023 season, including a refreshed event line-up, updated dining experiences, and enhanced in-park beautification. New additions are also planned at the Wild Safari Drive-Thru and Hurricane Harbor water park.

“At Six Flags we’re laser-focused on improving the overall guest experience,” interim park President Randy Wilke said in a recent statement. “With investments in the beautification of our property, updated dining offerings, incredible safari additions and an exciting events schedule brimming with new, imaginative events; Six Flags is the place to be in 2023 to create lasting memories.”

On 5/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

This will be located in the former Santas House under the Big Wheel. I think it’s a lot safer putting it there than close to the front gate where people would just walk out with merchandise.

If it works like the rest of the Amazon locations, you can't just walk in.  You will have to scan in,  then you walk out with the merch and are automatically billed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Master said:

The park is also adding a Build a Bear workshop near the park exit which is weird. 

Anytime I walk past the ones in Busch Gardens Tampa and SeaWorld Orlando, there are usually no customers.

Maybe they will have Looney Tunes characters like the SEAS parks have Sesame Street characters.

5 hours ago, Yoshi said:

Anytime I walk past the ones in Busch Gardens Tampa and SeaWorld Orlando, there are usually no customers.

Maybe they will have Looney Tunes characters like the SEAS parks have Sesame Street characters.

Why pay parking and admission fees for something you can do at a mall? Especially eince it takes time away from rides, the main point to be at a amusment park instead of someplace else like a mall. 

15 hours ago, The Master said:

Why pay parking and admission fees for something you can do at a mall? Especially since it takes time away from rides, the main point to be at an amusement park instead of someplace else like a mall. 

The point is, this store is carrying things people need (or at least want) WHILE already at the park.  Thus, they are not taking time away from doing things at the park any more than they normally would, in fact if this allows for faster purchases it may even give them more time to enjoy the rest of the park (and maybe spend elsewhere).

10 hours ago, BillyG said:

The point is, this store is carrying things people need (or at least want) WHILE already at the park.  Thus, they are not taking time away from doing things at the park any more than they normally would, in fact if this allows for faster purchases it may even give them more time to enjoy the rest of the park (and maybe spend elsewhere).

I was referring to the build a bear workshop. I don't know if build a bear is faster with plush toy purchasing than regular toy stores or park gift shops as I never been in one. I assumed it would be slower as customers must choose parts and assemble their plush toy for purchase as opposed to just buying a preassembled plush toy off the shelf. Its similar to going to a theme park just to play video games in a arcade which again can be done at most malls for cheaper.

Edited by The Master

16 hours ago, The Master said:

I was referring to the build a bear workshop. I don't know if build a bear is faster with plush toy purchasing than regular toy stores or park gift shops as I never been in one. I assumed it would be slower as customers must choose parts and assemble their plush toy for purchase as opposed to just buying a preassembled plush toy off the shelf. Its similar to going to a theme park just to play video games in a arcade which again can be done at most malls for cheaper.

Sorry - saw all the posts (and title) about the Just Walk Out and was referring to that :)

However, it may still be a situation where people are NOT going to the park just to buy such a toy that could be gotten elsewhere, but rather that they are already at the park enjoying that and figure it is worth taking time to get the toy instead of having to devote time/effort to go to a mall-based store on another day.  Maybe even a touch of people who just don't want to go to malls any more, but this is something they would want and not be able to get through other options (probably not quite the same to build and buy on a computer).

18 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Build a Bear better double check where their store is suppose to be!

IMG_5145.jpeg

Well, they were 75% correct - I guess they still get a passing grade ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think there is value. B-A-B is one of the first stores you see at Kings Island and had decent traffic on my recent visit. I ended up buying something in there and would never have set foot inside one at a mall. Plus, they had some park-specific items, so maybe they'll do the same for our store. There was an article in WSJ about SF trying to attract the "stroller crowd" (sound familiar, anyone...) and this fits right in line with that approach.