VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Pair accused of firing gun near Six Flags

29yrswithaGApass

Pair accused of firing gun near Six Flags

11:53 AM, Oct 8, 2012

Source: Asbury Park Press

JACKSON — Police arrested two men following reported gunfire near Six Flags Great Adventure in the township.

Michael Tuchmatulin, 23, of Spotswood, and Andrew Korkowski, 24, of Keyport, are charged with unlawful possession of a handgun, Lt. Steven Laskiewicz said in a statement.

Tuchmatulin is additionally charged with unlawful possession of a handgun, unlawful possession of a rifle, aggravated assault and two counts of possession of large capacity magazines, Laskiewicz said.

Multiple township officers responded to a report of two people with an AR-15 type rifle and handgun, having fired one round in the wildlife management area off of Reed Road behind the property of Six Flags Great Adventure just before 11 p.m. Saturday, Laskiewicz said.

The officers found a small campfire and group of people who had been in the woods at a gathering. They spoke with the caller who told police he was in the area when two unknown males arrived. The pair exited their vehicle and spoke with the group, Laskiewicz said.

The men were observed wearing army-type clothing. One had an AR-15 type rifle, while the second had a Glock handgun in a nylon thigh holster. The man with the rifle then turned on a flashlight and laser aiming device mounted atop the firearm and swept the group with it, aiming specifically at the caller, Laskiewicz said.

The men then asked the group what they were doing in the area. During the ensuing conversation, the man with the rifle fired one round at a tree. Thereafter, the caller moved away from the group and called police with a cell phone, Laskiewicz said.

Upon arrival at the scene, officers recovered a Glock 22 .40 caliber handgun with three loaded magazines and 39 rounds of ammunition; a semi-automatic 5.56 caliber AR-15 rifle along with a 20- and 30-round magazine, and 47 rounds of rifle ammunition; and one spent casing of 5.56 ammunition from the area where the rifle was reportedly fired, Laskiewicz said.

Tuchmatulin and Korkowski are held on $50,000 bail at the Ocean County Jail in Toms River, Laskiewicz said.

The Asbury Park Press asked Jackson Police for a photo of the suspect, but they declined. State law allows authorities discretion in releasing suspect photos, but they often refuse to do so saying media publicity could affect their ability to select a jury.

Wow, I had to check the time stamp on my photos from Saturday to see what time I was back there. It was only an hour or so afterwards (around 12:15). It's funny that I didn't see anything out of the ordinary - gunmen or policemen. Maybe I should stay off this road!

That is really disturbing. Thank god for security around the park, especially during FF.

GADV Park security would be useless againest someone who is armed with a firearm. Now Dorney's guards pack handguns so they would have a decent chance.

Sadly it's idiots like these two who make all gun owners look bad, though NJ's 15 round limit for magizines is really stupid since no one makes a mag that holds 15. They usually come in 10, 20, and 30 rounds which are legal in most other states, NJ is just extra strict. The special mags they sell just for NJ are really 20 round ones with a spacer installed to limit them to 15, it's just nonsense.

This part really makes me sick, in NJ almost anyone with a gun is presumed to be violating state law and must defend against the charge of illegal gun possession by claiming one of the state's exemptions (Home, shooting range, hunting, transporting to these places, etc). This even includes lawful gun owners who are transporting an unloaded weapon in a locked guncase that is locked in thier trunk, following Fed and NJ state laws can still be arrested and sent to prison for 10 years even though they obeyed the law! In other words, NJ laws says all gun owners are guilty (except the police of course) and they must prove themselves to be innocent. I am sure the pair will try to claim hunting as their exemption but the judge probably won't accept it.

As I said these two clowns were trying to play tacticool, the only time to ever point a gun at another human being is if that person is trying to kill you. It's not something to ever take lightly.

I am not defending these two because they should be arrested and put in jail for being irresponsible a-holes with their firearms but some of the charges (unlawful possession and large cap mags possession) are pure BS of a nanny state that wants to oppress it's people. NJ is a really messed up state with their laws which is why I am glad I don't live there.

Edited by The Master