VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Wanna be a zombie? Six Flags holding Fright Fest auditions

jdc12192

Wanna be a zombie? Six Flags holding Fright Fest auditions (PHOTOS, VIDEO) -773397bc6b86816e.JPG

By Rob Spahr | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on August 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM, updated August 18, 2015 at 12:03 PM

JACKSON – It wasn't a dark and stormy night, but rather a sunny and overall pleasant day.

However, the undead were still on the prowl at Six Flags Great Adventure.

The theme park is auditioning zombie wannabes for its popular annual Fright Fest event.

"The ghouls make the Fright Fest," Derek DiPasquale, a supervisor for Six Flags' entertainment department, said during the theme park's seventh zombie audition of the 2015 season. "Without them you'd just have some set props out there, which isn't really scary."

There are a handful of auditions remaining before the start of Fright Fest, which runs on weekends from Sept. 19 to Nov. 1.

The theme park is hiring zombies to scare patrons along seven trails and four midways, DiPasquale said.

"Mannerisms are keys for a successful ghoul, because you can't always make noises or talk," he said. "Also just being willing to get out of your comfort zone. If you're willing to get out of your comfort zone, we'll most likely be able to find a spot for you here.

Mother and daughter Tessa Rouleau and Ashlynn Williams, of Lakewood, both work in different departments of Six Flags already but auditioned together for jobs as zombies.

"My older daughter did Fright Fest last year and we saw how much fun she had, so this year we wanted to do it, too," said Rouleau, 42. "Both my girls are my best friends. So being able to spend this time with them is so rewarding."

Rouleau came to the audition dressed as a vampire, while her daughter came as a spooky clown.

"Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I love everything about Fright Fest," said Williams, 17.

New Brunswick resident Kenny Felton found out about the audition through a casting agency.

"I've always loved Fright Fest, so I decided to go outside of my comfort zone, think outside the box and just go for it," said Felton, 23.

Felton's idea of thinking "outside of the box" was dressing as a zombie who ate his own internal organs. The part of his organs was played by a handful of pasta.

He was offered a role as a zombie.

"I'm looking forward to scare the hell out of people," he said.

After cleaning Felton's insides off the carpet of the audition room, DiPasquale said Felton's audition was a first for him.

"I've never seen spaghetti before, so that was a new one," DiPasquale said. "We don't expect them to come in costume or with props, because we supply everything as far as all the makeup and costumes. The performances are what counts, all the other stuff is just bells and whistles."

Rob Spahr may be reached at rspahr@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @TheRobSpahr. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

Addition photos and video can be found on the Articles full page

Also future audition dates-

• Fri Aug 28th at 6pm
  • Sat Aug 29th at 1pm
  • Wed. Sept 23rd at 6pm