VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Keeping track of miles on coaster trains

Mrpq

I'm pretty sure they don't track miles specifically, but they do track how many riders per hour and how many dispatches per hour. They could use that to figure out miles, but not for a specific train.

I assumed the same thing. If they wanted, with that info and the service logs I assume they may be keeping for each train they could go back and figure it out. Average circuits per month, number of trains used either on average or really dig into the service records I assume they keep and find out when and how long each train has been out of service and work the numbers into the trains used blah blah blah. It can be estimated but if they don't log the use of the trains specifically it will only be an estimate. it can be relatively close but not exact.

Edited by scott

I could be wrong, but I believe the overall maintenance schedule is time based. (Ex. do certain things every X months, rebuild all trains over the off-season, etc.) Some things they actively monitor for tolerances. For example, I know some (probably all?) parks use a simple device to measure the wear on the wheels, and they replace the wheel once the wheel is smaller than the measuring device.