VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Aerial Photo Coverage of The Gingerbread Castle...

Flyin Phil

The Gingerbread Castle, located in Hamburg, NJ, entertained many a youngsters back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, and probably even before that. But, just like most good things, they seem to come to an end. The park had a Castle (which you will see in the photos), a museum/store/(restaurant ???) that sold none other than Gingerbread eats, and even a mini-diesel train existed on the property as well, in the shape of a figure-8. I remember riding taking this train ride back in the mid 70's when my Mom and Grandmother took me there. It was a very clean and happy place. You wouldn't think so looking at the photos from my gallery, though. The train track pilings for the curve over the river are still in place - see if you can spot them !!! Here are the photos:

03/25/07 Gallery

Enjoy ;)

Wonderful pictures! I am always fascinated to see how the castle is situated amongst the buildings.

One of these days I will make the 15 minute drive from work to see this! It's ridiculous, I can manage to drive to Florida or half way across the country but I can't find time to make it down the road! :Z001_unsure:

I know what you mean, Harry. Each time I over-fly the castle, it always amazes me how "sandwiched" the rather "tiny" castle looks between these two large factories. Seems like the castle should have some land of its own so it can show itself off a bit more.

Oh, and when you go to the park to look around, see if you can spot the rail road pilings in the river. I could see these from the air, and they show a clear diagram as to just what route the rail road took....

Each time I over-fly the castle, it always amazes me how "sandwiched" the rather "tiny" castle looks between these two large factories. Seems like the castle should have some land of its own so it can show itself off a bit more.

It originally stood alone; as time went on, land was sold off, the Wheatsworth mill (just outside the photos, to the right) grew and the Plastoid factory was built on the other side (see left side of lower photo)...

Brian-045.jpg

010106-022.jpg