VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine

Mr. Hot Dog

After dragging my reluctant girlfriend on the Scream Machine this evening, we ended up getting into a long debate about the ride. She claims it's way too rough and bangs her head too much -- a complaint I've heard from many others. I, on the other hand, still love it after all these years. I will admit that a big part of the soft spot in my heart for the Scream Machine comes from pure nostalgia. When I was a kid, the Scream Machine was THE ride. Nothing was bigger*, nothing was more intense, and nothing scared the pants off me more than that single ride. It was a proud moment when I finally conquered it. Fast forwarding to today, it makes me a little sad to see how it has become the ride of yesteryear -- the queues are always deserted, and it always seems like a walk-on ride. That's great for me since I've learned "how" to ride it by now (leaning at the proper times, holding my head just right, etc), so it's never painful and there are never lines for it. It's still a great ride though (especially in the front row), and it still gives you that fighter pilot feeling when you go rocketing up and up to reach that first loop.

I still can't help but feel a little bad for the ol' girl. Even though she's still a goodie, her time is unfortunately probably limited. Next time you're on your way to Superman, hang a right and show her a little love. While you're at it, be sure to give her a pat on the nosecone and tell her Mr. Hot Dog sent you.

*Nothing was bigger until the day we cracked open the Guinness book to see the picture of Magnum XL-200 under construction. Talk about a shocker!!!

I hope it doesen't follow in Big Bad Wolf's steps and get's removed. I think alot of Rides from the same Era will sadly start to go. They have run their course. But I still always grab a Ride on it when I can, and it is not that bad when it comes to getting knocked around.

I hope it doesen't follow in Big Bad Wolf's steps and get's removed. I think alot of Rides from the same Era will sadly start to go. They have run their course. But I still always grab a Ride on it when I can, and it is not that bad when it comes to getting knocked around.

What?! Since when was Big Bad Wolf removed? [Edit: I just read the announcement on Busch Garden's web site. That is pretty shocking since it was always such an iconic ride for them.]

The removal of Shockwave at Six Flags Great America seems like the death knell for a lot of these Arrow loopers. I would guess that the Scream Machine isn't too far behind, sadly. I recently rode the third of the group, Viper, during a trip to Magic Mountain this spring... talk about a huge difference. It runs very smoothly with no funky transitions. Still, I'd hate to see the Scream Machine go.

It seems weird to me that they'll go to any length to keep an old woodie around, but they don't seem to have much concern for preservation of "classic" steel coasters. Steel seems to be very disposable.

Gasm in the front row is amazing. I was wondering where the 68 mph thing was going to come in to play! The front is smooth too and the wind is just amazing but nothing compares to the drop in the back row. I have a lot of love for Gasm. Next year when I go into Rides Dept. I pray I go to Gasm because I will have that station pumped!

I remember riding one time and I heard faint techno yet american war fighter music. It was amazing and something happened where the volume turned up and the music was blaring through the speakers. I've seen what Gasm can be and my goal in life is to make it that.

-In 2010, Gasm Seeks Revenge.