VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Americana Music Hall

29yrswithaGApass

• 1 year later...

Does anyone who visited the park in 1987 remember "Evolution of Rock" at the Showcase Theatre?  It was billed as "the dynamic history of rock and roll as told through song and dance.  Be sure not to miss this sizzling revue as it traces rock music from its origins to the present.  Your day wont be complete until you've seen this wonderful stage show."

The show ran from Memorial Day to Labor Day with as many as six performances a day.

Evolution 1987.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 2/27/2017 at 7:05 PM, Daved Thomson said:

I don't ever remember that entrance. Was this actually located on the side of the AMH rather than the front where it is now located. I remember seeing the Mahoney Brothers perform in the theater in 1978 at the very start of the season and could have sworn that we entered the building on the side near Rotor and exited through the doors on the Garden of Eatin' side.

Five years later but I discovered some new info.

You aren't going crazy Daved!  The original entrance sign was in the front of the theater in 1978 but then was moved to the left hand doors while the current entrance structure was being built in 1979.  Also, the theater didn't open until June 24, 1978 so I am thinking maybe you went to the show in 1979?

Here is a newly discovered photo of the entrance to the Americana Music Hall under construction in 1979 and a sign and security guard directing guests to use the relocated original entrance arch to the left side of the theater next to the Rotor.

EB_AMH.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 10:38 AM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Five years later but I discovered some new info.

You aren't going crazy Daved!  The original entrance sign was in the front of the theater in 1978 but then was moved to the left hand doors while the current entrance structure was being built in 1979.  Also, the theater didn't open until June 24, 1978 so I am thinking maybe you went to the show in 1979?

Here is a newly discovered photo of the entrance to the Americana Music Hall under construction in 1979 and a sign and security guard directing guests to use the relocated original entrance arch to the left side of the theater next to the Rotor.

EB_AMH.jpg

Mystery solved.  I was definitely incorrect about the season being 1978.  The Mahoney Brothers didn't appear until 1979 and given that I went to the park prior to the school year ending (sometime in May as myself and our 7th grade clan all cut school for "beach day"), you're absolutely correct.  I definitely remember entering on the left side of the building and exiting on the right.  Another great great photo find.

• Like 1