VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Big Balloon Ride

The Master

I have heard of this old big balloon ride SFGAdv used to have, what was it like? I would think it would be alot like the ABC6 Zoo Balloon at the Philadelphia Zoo. Does anyone has any more info about it? thanks. :hot_air_balloon:

I don't have too much info on it but if you check out the tour of the park 1974 it has a few pictures of the balloon both being blown up in the air.

Also if you check out this page, there is an interesting little tidbit listed about the current status of the balloon the park used to operate.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on the matter. :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the link, it would be neat if SFGAdv built a new balloon ride like the Philly Zoo has now.

423px-Philadelphia_Zoo_balloon.jpg

The basket on that balloon looks huge. Great Adventure always claimed that their balloon carried large groups of guests too, but in all the photos I have seen, the basket looks really small. I think four people would be crowded in it.

Do you know how many people fit in the Philly Zoo balloon? Is the balloon open to the public like an upcharge attraction?

gallery_1_2_685122.jpg

Yes it is open to the pubic as a upcharge attraction, it can carry 30 people and rises to 400 ft. The ABC 6 Zooballoon was built in 2002 to replace the Zoo's old monorail which was similar to Hershey's monorail and SFMM's old monorail. The Zooballoon is open from April through October, 10 am to 5 pm.

Edited by The Master