VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Since learning of the existence of what appear to be the World's Fairs' Glide-A-Ride trams at GA, in looking at the park's maps from the first and second seasons, I was wondering if the park, in fact, had two tram circles during the first season (the map only shows one) OR was the number of tram circles expanded during the second season to two? I guess the other possibility is that the second season map is incorrect showing two. Since I first went to GA during the 1977 season, I have always been so curious about the park's original entrance area, believing that the ride to the park's front gates must have been so much more like the ride to Walt Disney World's Transportation and Ticket center. Also, does anyone know, when the park's entrance was moved in 1976, were there originally two tram circles or was one of those circles always designed to be used as a bus/passenger drop off area? Lastly, in looking at the map inside the 1976 brochure, the tram circle (only one), is located next to Guest Relations, while on the 1976 full-size map there are two tram circles at Liberty Court.

The biggest change to the current two circles, I believe, came when the giant GA floral planting was moved from the center of Liberty Court (the outer mall area) to the center of the left (bus/passenger drop off) circle in 1980. The addition of the floral planting actually changed the shape of the left "circle" from an oval with the longer sides on the left and right to an oval with the shorter sides on the left and right. The movement of the GA floral planting, however, didn't appear on any of the park's maps as late as 1986 (I am missing the 1983-1985 maps). Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

Edited by Daved Thomson

I am not sure how many tram circles were actually built near the old main gate. The photo below shows the tram canopy along with a newer style of tram car - not the World's Fair style or the sideways seating ones. (Source of photo unknown)

gallery_2_579_57379.jpg

I believe that the new entrance only used the right loop as a tram station. The left side was always used as a pick up and drop off area. The artist rendering below from pre-1976 supports that setup. In 2011, the left side loop (GA planter) is being used as a tram stop for the first time this season.

gallery_2_579_1001729.jpg

And you are correct, the first time the change in location for the GA planter from the center of Liberty Court to the parking lot edge was on the 1987 map.

• 1 year later...

They really need to bring back the parking lot trams! Walking from the butt-end of the parking lot, or even where the water park is located, is ridiculous!

Here's a thought... Since they keep building out into sections of the parking lot, why not build a multi-level parking garage and just use the rest of the parking lot for more park space!

It's insane that GA charges more for parking than Disney and Busch yet doesn't run trams...

I remember when they instituted the parking charge... Boy were people upset! Parking had been free for many years... It would be understandable if they were to use the p-lot charges to maintain the lot properly over the years - but we can see that's not the case.

Now the lot is chaotic - spaces are facing the wrong way as they've tried to re-route traffic patterns which have existed for 30+ years... It's a total cluster @!*) trying to leave the park after closing! Took us 2 hours to get out of the parking lot one evening last year... A total mess!