VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Green Lantern Retheme?

warnerleroy

Retheme GL due to dismal box office results?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Retheme it?

• Yes retheme it to something better fitting to the Boardwalk area
    • leave it, the box office results wont hurt the publics opinion of a great coaster

http://boxofficemojo...reenlantern.htm

Green Lantern is doing TERRIBLY at the box office and this could lead it to develope a "Batman and Robin the Chiller type' reputation. should the park retheme GL in the offseason ton avoid this problem and enhance the theming in the area or ignore the movies intake and leave it be?

Comments and discussion welcome

They should stop theming things to the latest movies altogether and use themes that do not depend on box office or how long a fad will last, like Runaway Train, Rolling Thunder, El Torro, ect.. Themes that actually fit the park instead of the whim of some comic book geeks that seem to be making decisions in the company.

It'd be a waist to re-theme it now, Even in the off-season. Just leave in until it becomes not popular anymore and then re-theme it like Bizarro. I'd rather they spend 5 million on a 500 ft Star Flyer then a 5 million dollar re-theme of a roller coaster that is brand new... (and yes, a StarFlyer is 1 million dollars for every 100 feet)

The superhero coasters need to stop. I understand if their in something like movietown, but other than that, they should be unique themes. I think its kinda funny that a roller coaster in a western area is themed after a superman-opposite who kidnaps a Metropolis reporter. They had so much potential with the medusa retheme and it turned out as another superhero ride. I would have liked to see a western(as would probably everyone else) and with some western theme elements already there, it wouldn't have taken much to turn it into a greatly themed coaster.

Well, first-off, I'm not sure what you mean by "a Batman and Robin the chiller-type" reputation. True, Batman and Robin was an awful movie that brought the Batman franchise to a grinding halt, but I never heard anyone say "Batman and Robin was an awful movie, so the ride must be awful too". The Chiller was actually one of the most popular rides in the park the whole time it was here.

Secondly, the ride is not based off the movie. The ride was opened in the same year as the movie to increase its popularity. However, unlike The Dark Knight Coaster, this ride isn't based on the story of the movie. It's just based on the character. The reason I say this is because you don't see Ryan Reynolds's face anywhere near the ride -- it's all comic book images, like Superman next door. The Boardwalk has comic book coasters, and Movietown has movie-based coasters.

Green Lantern didn't do TERRIBLY, it just didn't do well for a superhero film. It still made money, but just as much as Thor or X-Men. Third, the box-office results don't say anything about the ride's popularity. Look at Terminator Salvation -- that was an awful movie, but the ride was good, so it was popular. Green Lantern (the ride) is incredibly popular. So, no.